FINISHED 11/16 Tom Givens Instructor Development Course Review

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

FINISHED 11/16 Tom Givens Instructor Development Course Review

Post by Pro2a »

Editior's note- This review is designed for those with a specific interest towards the subject. If you already know it all, then move on. Secret fact- The top trainers in the country that already know it all, take courses from other instructors.

Link to the course description. Skim this first to get an idea in your head, it only takes 10 seconds.
https://rangemaster.com/training/instru ... nt-course/

SUPER BASIC SCHEDULE BREAKDOWN
Day one-
Half classroom
Half range (exercises and drills from step 1; presentation to firing)

Day two
1/3 classroom
2/3 range (Shooting various strings and drills specifically designed by Tom to develop CC drills, vast majority from 3 to 7 yards, too close and easy for you?, Remember this is CC driven)

Day three
1/3 range- (Qualifications, not drills)
2/3 classroom

SUMMARY
Tom's one line summary- "For folks without a strong shooting background, this course is like drinking from a fire hose."
My own wordy version-
This course is taught from a concealed carry perspective, and just about everything besides coaching relates to concealed carry in some form or another. Needless to say, having never CC'd, I had to learn some new carry techniques and practices and quickly, namely drawing from concealment, and trigger prep during the drawstroke/presentation. This really threw me for a loop come test day, as I was applying techniques that I had learned two days prior.
The only constructive criticism I would have in my novice instructional experience is that I would say the course description is missing some information.
For lack of a better word, I would've liked to have seen a little more developing of an instructor, as the course description reads. The summary is not incorrect in regards to the subject matter by any means, I just didn't expect to have it peppered with such a CC experience.
Side note- when you are registered for class, you will receive an extensive email that includes needed equipment and what is expected of you. I think that information is the best guidance to deliver everybody maximum value for their time and money.

The pace on and off the range made it feel like I was drowning, but at the same time I realize this is all designed to pack 5 days of information and learning into a 3 day weekend. Tom believes that your time is an investment, and wants to give you all the information that is humanly possible.
The course is delivered in the same manner that he directs other instructors through the copyrighted 200 page course book that he supplies. It is well laid out and easy to read, and more importantly, understand.

A very important aspect that I especially like is the vast amount of knowledge and history that he has collected over the years. The techniques he teaches, as wells as the products that have evolved have a history attached to them. As he suggests in his instruction principles, he attaches that history to the curriculum that he delivers. This history helps to explain and support valid theories or debunk some of the crap floating around the evolution of the firearms industry.

Quick example-
Tueller did not call his work the Tueller Drill, but rather the Tueller Principle
The principle came from a study that found a quantified danger zone where an attacker presents a clear threat. Somewhere along the line it became attached to a drill, and then when the internet gets a hold of things, it gets exponentially FUBARed.

EXPECTATIONS/WARNINGS
When on the range you are being coached, or coaching. While you are coaching, you really should be topping off your mags. While you are coaching, shut the F up the moment he starts talking. This can be tedious, but he has range commands to give or important points to deliver.
Tom delivers content on and off the range in an entertaining fashion that keeps your interest. In the interest of delivering the most content, knowledge and value for your dollar, there is no class time for your anecdotes. There is plenty of time for that among yourselves during breaks and before/after class.
In or out of Arizona, stay hydrated- evidently your body needs plenty of water to function, including your brain, the most important body part need to safely operate a firearm.

IMPRESSIONS
Overall, this course made me start to refine and re-prioritize many aspects of the instructional principles of what I'm trying to develop. My biggest regret is that I didn't start this in 2011 when I moved to Arizona, but working on a local shooting range for almost two years opened my eyes to the massive lack of education, and ocean of misinformation in this industry.
To that point, it is our responsibility as educators to diminish the deficiency that exists.
It's hard to member and retain those one liners that help to guide, of all the "Tomisms" delivered over the weekend, the one I can't get out of my head is, "never miss the chance to do something right," a training tactic designed to develop automaticity.

I hope this gives you a more informed perspective on this highly recommended course, if this is something you are considering.
If you are looking for the intense CC aspect, he also has a specific course for that without the instructor curriculum.
https://rangemaster.com/training/combative-pistol/
Last edited by Pro2a on November 16th, 2020, 10:03 am, edited 8 times in total.

smithers599

Re: Tom Givens Instructor Development Course

Post by smithers599 »

Looking forward to your report.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

Givens is considered a top of the line trainer, will be interesting to read your review. Have fun.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Yes