Carry Law "Gotchas" for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Carry Law "Gotchas" for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Post by BigNate »

The Mrs and I are planning a road trip to Yellowstone with stops in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. The internet tells me that these three states look pretty similar to AZ with regards to carry in vehicles and as I review the NRA-ILA info for these states it looks like I can carry concealed or not concealed in a car that I legally possess. I have a couple of questions:

Utah seems to be the "tightest" in this area. I found the information below at: http://utahcarrylaws.com/utah-laws/vehicles/

"It is LEGAL for any person, at least 18 years old and not a prohibited person as defined in 76-10-503 or 18 U.S.C. 922(g) to have a loaded handgun anywhere in a vehicle including carried concealed on your body even if you do not have a concealed firearm permit as long as:
It is your vehicle; or
You have the consent from the owner of the vehicle"

Does anyone have real experience / knowledge regarding how Utah sees this? Is the rental car "my vehicle" or would I legally need to pursue consent from the rental car agency to carry a gun? I have to assume that it is the former (the rental contract makes it "my vehicle" for the duration of the contract" but I'm curious if anyone has better info?

Lastly - any "gotcha" things that I should be aware of associated with possessing a loaded firearm in those three states? (I'll check the laws associated with the national park separately)

Thanks!

Noshoot

Re: Carry Law "Gotchas" for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Post by Noshoot »

You should head over to the ar15.com hometown forums and ask there. You’ll get responses from other 2A supporters that live in those areas.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Ya fart dot com. That's the ticket.

Your rental car is your car. Ensure you know notification rules in those states regarding LEO contact

Another reason why maintenance of your permit is useful.

And as with all advice on the internet it's worth what you paid for it.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Thanks Gents... I know that seeking legal advice on the net is a crap-shoot - but I thought I'd ask for opinions / experiences. Thanks...