Maricopa County 2A Sanctuary!

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Maricopa County 2A Sanctuary!

Post by smithers599 »

Whoa! I didn't even know this was on the agenda!
Nice! :D

https://kvoa.com/news/local-news/2020/0 ... ment-guns/
Maricopa County declared ‘sanctuary’ for Second Amendment, guns

February 26, 2020

5:08 pm
Associated Press
Local News

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona's most populous county on Wednesday joined a growing national movement in which areas are declaring themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries and proclaiming support for gun ownership rights.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors voted in Phoenix to declare one of the nation's fastest-growing counties a “Second Amendment Preservation County,” following dozens of counties nationwide and four others in Arizona that have approved similar symbolic resolutions meant to stave off gun-control policies that could be seen as unconstitutional.
The resolution in Maricopa County, which has about 4.4 million residents, simply says the board supports the right to own guns. The proposal lost some of its edge when the board dropped a stipulation that government funds would not be used to infringe on gun rights.
Supervisor Steve Gallardo, a Democrat, denounced the politically charged resolution. “Let’s think about this. A resolution should not be divisive," he said. "It should not be partisan.”
Chairman Clint Hickman countered that multiple constituents had expressed support for the sanctuary designation that was first used in 2018 in Illinois and quickly spread to California, Colorado, New Mexico, Florida, Virginia and other states.
“Sanctuary city” is a term more often associated with cities trying to restrict cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. Some Second Amendment sanctuary supporters say their decision to use the term was a deliberate knock on Democrats who support immigrant sanctuary cities.
In Arizona, gun owners are already free to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. They can also bypass background checks if they buy their firearms at a gun show. However, federal background checks are required for other purchases.
Minority Democrats in the Arizona Legislature regularly introduce measures to boost gun regulations, including bans on high-capacity magazines and assault weapons, but the bills are routinely defeated.
Gary Larson, a gun owner from Glendale, said he had never spoken at a public forum but felt compelled to comment Wednesday because he fears restrictions that could “clamp down” on his freedoms.
“Protect the rights of gun owners but critique the people who are asking to own guns,” Larson said.
Gun-control activists, including members of Moms Demand Action, slammed the resolution as a “black eye” for the county.
“It feels a little bit like fear-mongering,” Marie Thearle, a member of the group said during the public comment period.
Garrick McFadden, a former Democratic congressional candidate who is black, said the resolution doesn't help communities of color.
"There's 30 handgun deaths in America each day. But 15 of those people are black people that are killed," McFadden said. “One of the things that needs to be done is reaching out to your constituents, not just the ones that came up to you and said they fear their rights are being infringed.”

Blue109

Re: Maricopa County 2A Sanctuary!

Post by Blue109 »

"They can also bypass background checks if they buy their firearms at a gun show."

Wait...what?
Flash

Post by Flash »

I used to get interviewed by the local news media every year and they put non factual stuff that I didn't say in the interview each and every time.

Journalists can't be trusted.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

:liar:
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Fake news? So you’re saying Maricopa Cty BOS did not vote to be a 2A sanctuary county?
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

"The proposal lost some of it's edge when the board dropped the stipulation that government funds would not be used to infringe on gun rights"
That right there just made the whole thing a hollow gesture and pretty much B.S.
Flash

Post by Flash »

There are only two types of funds available, government funds and private funds.

They're not going to use private funds (their own money) to do anything.
Matwell

Post by Matwell »

Flash wrote: February 28th, 2020, 6:19 am I used to get interviewed by the local news media every year and they put non factual stuff that I didn't say in the interview each and every time.

Journalists can't be trusted.
'Can't let the facts get in the way of a good story!
Teuton

Re: Maricopa County 2A Sanctuary! Penzone responds..........

Post by Teuton »

Maricopa County Sheriff Responds

Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone has released a statement on the resolution, which reads:

“As the Sheriff of Maricopa County, I have a responsibility to defend our Constitution, keep our community safe, and ensure the rights of all citizens are protected. The core of my authority is the U.S. Constitution and its Amendments, which include the Second Amendment. I pledge to always protect the rights of lawful citizens to bear arms. I also pledge to protect and prioritize the safety of families and children from violence and harm.

The original resolution put forth at today's Board of Supervisor meeting went beyond simply affirming the Second Amendment. It was potentially in conflict with current law enforcement operations and our ability to keep the community safe from persons who seek to do harm. Unfortunately, no one sought law enforcement expertise or input from my office on the original resolution, which could have potentially prohibited law enforcement from intervening in harmful situations to save precious lives or put them at risk of costly litigation for following the laws of our land.

Our democracy was designed to incorporate due process to write new laws and eliminate ineffective or unconstitutional laws. Denying, ignoring or refusing to recognize and apply the laws as they are written is not within the authority of law enforcement professionals. Terms such as Second Amendment Preservation or ‘Sanctuary’ become an excuse to circumvent the law and defy due process and democracy. We must adhere to the Constitution when it meets our principles and values, and as importantly when it is in conflict. This is the basis of a nation founded in respect for the rule of law.

As a career law enforcement professional and the elected Sheriff, I will never allow a political resolution to supersede existing law or interfere with my responsibility and my duty to constitutionally enforce the law. We owe it to our children to keep them safe and to protect our democratic government.”

With the resolution's passage, Maricopa County is now the largest county in the U.S. to pass such a sanctuary resolution.
Doc Holliday

Re: Maricopa County 2A Sanctuary! Penzone responds..........

Post by Doc Holliday »

Teuton wrote: March 1st, 2020, 11:27 am Maricopa County Sheriff Responds

Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone has released a statement on the resolution, which reads:

“.....Terms such as Second Amendment Preservation or ‘Sanctuary’ become an excuse to circumvent the law and defy due process and democracy.
So...Penzone is against any 'Second Amendment Preservation' movements?
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Just another reason that Peez-on has to go. I would rather have Camera hound Arpaio back but we have 4 other candidates in addition to these two. Hopefully we will get one outstanding choice.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Clowns like Pensuck make me want to vomit. This nation is a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC, not mob rule. They will never get it through their thick skulls what that actually means. Every idiot like him needs to be shown the door to a black hole.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

That’s good news, if it isn’t fake news?
ChiSao
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by ChiSao »

Vote For Jerry Sheidan. He's a good man and worked for the county for over 30-years.