ATF: Discontinuance of Accessory Classifications

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by delta6 »

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/22189c1

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Effective Immediately: Discontinuance of Accessory Classifications
12/10/2018

US ATF Protecting the public serving our nation
e-ATF Web Updates

Discontinuance of Accessory Classifications
Effective Immediately:
The Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB) classifies firearms as defined by the Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) based on the configuration and the design features of the firearm as submitted by members of the industry.

Effective immediately, any requests for a determination on how an accessory affects the classification of a firearm under the GCA or NFA must include a firearm with the accessory already installed. Except in cases of conditional import determinations, FTISB will not issue a determination on an accessory unless it is attached to the submitted firearm.

If you have previously submitted a sample accessory for classification, FTISB will be returning your sample without classification. FTISB will contact you in the near future with further instructions to facilitate the return of your sample.

ATF Building

Winmagbill

Re: ATF: Discontinuance of Accessory Classifications

Post by Winmagbill »

delta6 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 6:14 am

US ATF Protecting the public serving our nation
e-ATF Web Updates

Not sure if they are serious, have a sense of humor or just compulsive liar behavior.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

This is just the next step after executive branch overreach in banning bumpstocks.

It’s gonna be impossible to get approval for pistol braces and the like.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

This sounds like they are laying the groundwork to allow themselves to prosecute anyone USING a pistol brace or bumpstock. They may not be able to prohibit sales or ownership of a non-firearm, but once installed onto and transforming a firearm,.....
delta6

Post by delta6 »

UPDATE from TFB:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ice-follow-up/

UPDATE: ATF Accessory Classification Notice Follow-Up

accessory-classifications
As a follow-up to yesterday’s announcement by the ATF regarding the discontinuation of accessory classifications without a host firearm, sources that work closely with the law enforcement and regulatory agency have come forward with additional information. Apparently the Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB), has been swamped with submissions from manufacturers without a host weapon as context for how the device will be utilized. The new procedure may help to cull the volume of “junk” accessories that are submitted for review – fleshlights attached to AR15 stocks, for example. (Yes, I said fleshlight, not flashlight. Don’t Google that from work). And yes, apparently that actually happened.

We can also confirm that the new process has nothing to do with Pistol Stabilizing Braces. These devices, originally developed to help disabled shooters use larger weapons more easily, have been deemed “safe” as designed and not the target of additional scrutiny as some (including myself) had originally suggested. As relayed to me from the source, the new determination process is not targeting any one type of device and is strictly procedural in nature.

It is not our style here at TFB to incite panic or fan the flames of drama. So, I’ll fall on the sword and acknowledge that my editorial analysis of braces, bumpstocks or any other specific devices as they pertain to yesterday’s notice was premature. My apologies.

I’d also like to point out that, while I personally believe the regulations surrounding the National Firearms Act (NFA) are ridiculous, arbitrary and unnecessary, I follow the current laws of the land and have always encouraged others to do so as well. I also believe that there are good people working inside the ATF who are on our side, working to make things better under the constraints they have been given.

Thanks for reading TFB.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Joe_Blacke wrote: December 11th, 2018, 10:26 am This is just the next step after executive branch overreach in banning bumpstocks.

It’s gonna be impossible to get approval for pistol braces and the like.
Maybe you can't read English it clearly states "FTISB will not issue a determination on an accessory unless it is attached to the submitted firearm."

It doesn't say they wont issue a determination it says it must be attached to a firearm, pretty simple actually. So it is no more sending the ATF a part they have to figure out how it works, get a firearm, attach it and make a ruling on it.