Arizona; Address on DL/ID

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
Tacticalplinker
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Arizona; Address on DL/ID

Post by Tacticalplinker »

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched but didn't find an answer.

In Arizona, does your current living address have to match your ID/DL when buying a gun? Are there any legal concerns regarding this matter?

Some stores like Sportsman's require the addresses match, but I didn't know if that was a law (state or federal), or just a store policy.

Thanks

QuietM4

Re: Arizona; Address on DL/ID

Post by QuietM4 »

Yes, your current physical address (where you sleep at night) must be printed on your state issues DL/ID card.

If it doesn't, you are required to provide proof of address via a government issued document, e.g. voter ID card, hunt/fish license, vehicle registration.

Support your LOCAL gun shop, not large corporations.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

There are fewer and fewer ways in which your ID/DL would not match your domicile. I have a buddy that lives on a property up between Clint's Well and Winslow. It is physically on a forest service fire road with a number as a designation. For almost 15 years, he simply used a P.O. Box at the gas station in Clint's Well that also served as the local post office. But when it was time to renew his driver's license 2 years ago, they denied him, saying he needed a physical address. He complained that he had no designated address and that the DMV had let him use the P.O. Box for that very reason. But the federal Real ID Act passed about 10 years or so ago stipulated the state driver's license bureaus could no longer do that and needed a recognized federal residential mailing address. DMV collaborated with the post office and got an address created specifically for him. Despite that, he still can't receive mail there, because the mail truck only drops everything at the gas station for the P.O. Boxes. But now there is a special box there at the gas station labelled as his address. Somewhere in the post office computers, there is a satellite photo and grid coordinates, in case the FBI or ATF ever want to know where to helicopter in and shoot his dog.
PK90

Post by PK90 »

A current address on a DL/ID is not required as long as it is not expired. As stated, an additional Government issued document must be used in conjunction, I e. tax bill, voter id, car registration. A person might own a house in every state, but only have one or two photo IDs.

Those remote residences are tricky ones. There is another thread here that addresses that.
Tacticalplinker

Thanks for the info guys.
No plans to buy a gun given my current finances, but obviously I want to ensure eligibility if that changes.

I moved in December and will likely be moving again in or before January. I've not bothered to get an updated DL given I knew ahead of time this would be a temporary living situation.
PK90

Post by PK90 »

Tacticalplinker wrote: September 7th, 2023, 6:51 amI moved in December and will likely be moving again in or before January. I've not bothered to get an updated DL given I knew ahead of time this would be a temporary living situation.
FYI
Arizona law requires all driver license and identification card holders to report any change of address to MVD within 10 days.
Tacticalplinker

To the best of my knowledge, all my information was updated in December... USPS, bank, etc. I'm sure MVD was in there as well, but I will inquire and verify.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

An FFL needs two things provided on valid, government-issued documentation.
1. ID (Photo, DoB, Name)
2. Current Address
This can be done with one or multiple documents.

For example, if a person's DL is valid and accurate with the exception of address, we can use a supplement like their car registration (assuming that it has their current address).

Where many people get hung up is the government issued part. Your mortgage bill, or bill from APS are not government issued. Whereas a voter ID card, official letter from the USPS or IRS, or a City of _______ utility bill are.