It's official: just offering to sell even 1 gun will get you prison

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

It's official: just offering to sell even 1 gun will get you prison

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

We hate to say we told you so, but it's official. The Justice Department announced a new rule to amend ATF regulations and expand the definition of a firearms dealer to include those who sell even a single firearm.

The original rumors of the rule suggested anyone who sold five or more firearms could have to register as an FFL and conduct background checks, however the official released version says selling even ONE FIREARM without a license would be illegal.🤯 pic.twitter.com/U1s9SUFm2q
— Gun Owners of America (@GunOwners) August 31, 2023

While earlier versions of the rule leaked to the public via the Biden administration's allies in the corporate media hinted at a target of about five firearms sold without a license before requiring an individual to register as an FFL, the published rule seems more restrictive. Those who have sold or even "offer to engage" in a single transaction could be prosecuted for unlicensed activities.

That's not all. The rule is also full of unclear language that gives ATF wiggle room to prosecute gun owners as they please. Examples of actions that ATF could use to define activity as operating as an unlicensed dealer are listed, but ATF notes that the list of examples is not exhaustive. This creates a system where gun owners must prove they are not dealers to be able to sell a firearm legally.

rockbronco

Re: It's official: just offering to sell even 1 gun will get you prison

Post by rockbronco »

I believe this is just a proposed rule change at this point. It’s not official yet.

Either way not good news and we must speak up against this back door registration
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

"Rules" and "Opinions" are not laws.

I can sell my personal property anytime I like...just like I can sell/buy a car without going through a dealership.

This "rule" will get struck down immediately in court.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

QuietM4 wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 4:54 pm "Rules" and "Opinions" are not laws.

I can sell my personal property anytime I like...just like I can sell/buy a car without going through a dealership.

You are of course correct. But ATF will not care. They will NEED to crucify some people to scare everyone else into compliance. Somebody gets to be the test case.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Suck My Glock wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 6:46 pm
QuietM4 wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 4:54 pm "Rules" and "Opinions" are not laws.

You are of course correct. But ATF will not care. They will NEED to crucify some people to scare everyone else into compliance. Somebody gets to be the test case.
Someome, GOA, FPC, etc, will get an immediate injunction. It will go to SCOTUS. They will kill it. But that will take 2 years.
baja

Post by baja »