Federal Judge declares US v. Bruen invalidates federal felon prohibition statutes

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Federal Judge declares US v. Bruen invalidates federal felon prohibition statutes

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here is the ruling issued by Chief District Judge Reeves. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 8.79.0.pdf

Mississippi is in the 5th Circuit, which includes Texas and Louisiana. The 5th Circuit has been so pro-gun/rights that I personally think the prosecution will drop this and not appeal the decision. By doing so, precedent is set ONLY in the Southern Mississippi District. But if the 5th Circuit upholds the decision, not only is it precedent for those 3 states in the 5th Circuit, it then become rather likely to go before the Supremes once one of the other liberal Circuits rules differently.

xerts1191

Re: Federal Judge declares US v. Bruen invalidates federal felon prohibition statutes

Post by xerts1191 »

Well it’s definitely a win for Mr. Bullock and others facing the same fate
Suck My Glock

Re: Federal Judge declares US v. Bruen invalidates federal felon prohibition statutes

Post by Suck My Glock »

In my opinion, if Bruen can do in the felon possession trespass against the Bill Of Rights, then dooming the NFA should be less challenging. To me, this is heartening news, giving an indication of just how in peril the NFA is.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

I doubt very seriously if the NFA is in peril. It was argued in the SC that it was a tax and that the Fed had the right to levy taxes.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Gatsby wrote: June 30th, 2023, 3:28 am I doubt very seriously if the NFA is in peril. It was argued in the SC that it was a tax and that the Fed had the right to levy taxes.
And slavery was completely legal too, until it wasn't.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

I don't really understand your reply. It sounds like you believe tax authority is unlawful? Sorry. Not trying to be obtuse, I just don't get your point with slavery.

$200 in 1934 is the same as $4,608 in May 2023. If they had tried to keep raising that price (tied to inflation) we could have gotten it throw out on those grounds. What part of the NFA do you think became vulnerable due to Bruen?
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Gatsby wrote: July 1st, 2023, 4:16 am I don't really understand your reply. It sounds like you believe tax authority is unlawful? Sorry. Not trying to be obtuse, I just don't get your point with slavery.

$200 in 1934 is the same as $4,608 in May 2023. If they had tried to keep raising that price (tied to inflation) we could have gotten it throw out on those grounds. What part of the NFA do you think became vulnerable due to Bruen?
When they refuse to accept the tax, it ain't about tax. Not that taxing authority defeats the Bill Of Rights in the first place. Poll taxes were not constitutional either.