Answering your front door

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Answering your front door

Post by thom »

Food for thought and questions.
I have seen a few homeowners, on video, shot by police when answering the front door while holdinga gun. The last one that I remember was in Ahwatukee. Do the police call out or yell "POLICE "when they get to the door or just knock on it? How does a homeowner know that it is the police instead of a criminal?
Just curious,
Thom

Twobadazbrothers

Re: Answering your front door

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Ring camera is how I check my front door even if I’m other side of the door unless I’m expecting someone
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

In our CCW class the instructor mentioned in certain parts of our state it is common for people to dress up as an officer and then pound on someone's door to gain entry. He said the following: "Call 911 and tell them there are officers at your address pounding on the door, can you verify that they were sent?"

If they can't then he said "Either way there are going to be some tragedies if someone is breaking down my front door and I cannot verify they are legitimate law enforcement" Being an ex Ranger I'm pretty sure the majority of the hurt would be on the door breakers.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I have a very sturdy steel security door so they would have a hard time breaking down my front door. Also check anyone knocking or ring my door bell. with my Ring camera. So I have enough time to check with the PD.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I finally got a Ring doorbell - and I use it... that helps. I open my door if I know the person who rang the bell. If I don't know them, I'm free to pretend that I can't come to the door (ask what they want... then "no thanks - not interested in looking at new vacuum machines - thanks...").

If the person at the door represents themselves as a cop - the advice that I've heard and that I think is good is - before you answer the door call 911 and ask if there are police at your house. They'll either confirm that they are law enforcement - or you've just initiated a call for service about someone pretending to be the police knocking on your door. Either way - being armed, inside your home, without opening the door - you are unlikely to be shot.

Plenty to debate about how to respond from there if there are cops at your door (do they have a warrant, is there some other reason that you want to interact with them, etc.) but I think the idea of verifying with dispatch whether the folks representing themselves as cops are actually cops is a good idea. I also think that opening your door to anyone with a gun in your hand is probably not a good idea.

If it is the police - and you have a gun in your hand when opening the door - you've just radically increased the likelihood that you are going to get shot - and the legality or illegality of the shoot is secondary - if you are shot you are shot - and that is not good.

If it is not the police - and you decide to open the door to them - then you've probably decided that you probably aren't about to get into a gunfight - so being holstered is probably good enough. If you haven't determined that it's someone that you believe is generally safe - why are you opening the door?

Again - at the end of the day - I don't open the door with a gun in my hand - but I will open the door with a holstered side arm... and a Ring doorbell (or one of the other brands) is a great tool - and not terribly expensive. It will often give you a bunch more information than you can get by yelling through the door and / or looking out the window. Get one... and be safe...

My 2 cents...
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

Like how everyone thinks a 911 operator will answer immediately. All kinds of reports online about calls going to voice mail. Phoenix was short 55 positions. They are no where near the national response threshold.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Man murders brother on his own doorstep then dies in police shootout https://mol.im/a/12050935 via https://dailym.ai/android
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I'm immediately suspicious anytime my door bell rings. If I didn't order a pizza for delivery, there is no reason for me to answer any knock/door bell.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I wouldn't answer the door holding a gun. Like BigNate said, have it holstered. I'd also suggest looking out of the peep hole, blinds or camera if you have one. Having a security door is nice too.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

I read on another forum that something that is becoming more common.

Like this - https://www.foxla.com/news/video-armed- ... ornia-home

I remember a while ago I read a story about a guy who had some people show up on his door late at night, asking for help with jumping their car, the moment he opened the door, 4 men grabbed him, tied him a a chair, stole his cards, stuck a gun to his head, 2 of the robbers went to the bank and made him give the codes to drain his bank. The other two stayed and guided the other two through pulling as much money as they could.

As you can see from the previous video, they have no problem hitting houses in broad daylight and in good ol' suburbia USA!

Stay safe!
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

QuietM4 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 12:48 pm I'm immediately suspicious anytime my door bell rings. If I didn't order a pizza for delivery, there is no reason for me to answer any knock/door bell.
another nice feature of my RING's is the motion sensors, I have them on video when they are within 25' of my house, this gives me a heads up as to who is approaching

well worth the $$$ IMHO
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

thom wrote: May 5th, 2023, 6:58 am Food for thought and questions.
I have seen a few homeowners, on video, shot by police when answering the front door while holdinga gun. The last one that I remember was in Ahwatukee. Do the police call out or yell "POLICE "when they get to the door or just knock on it? How does a homeowner know that it is the police instead of a criminal?
Just curious,
Thom
The incident of the guy getting shot on his doorstep is disturbing, and sadly, nothing happened to the cops. They stood outside line of vision in the peep hole when knocking. Apparently, he had other incidents of people knocking on his door late at night in the last week previous to the shooting, so he was just preparing himself. He was also putting the gun down with his right hand immediately when he saw the first cop, but the one behind him blasted him.

Here's an idea, just don't open the door. Last time the police came to my door to inform me of my wife's death, I never opened the door. They were shocked when I told them I didn't want to open the door to discuss it, almost speechless for a few seconds. They then asked if they could just leave a note on the information they had and left.

I no longer trust the police, I've watched a couple of friends get hammered when they did nothing wrong, and I'll mitigate those circumstances as much as possible by not having interactions with them if possible. If they don't have a warrant, I won't open my door at all.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Don't forget simple solutions such as peeping out through your window/s to see if there is a marked police car visible. We all know tacti-kewl gear or unforms can be easily had. However, not many are going to know, or take the time, to forge an I.D. to go along with the ruse. You can also ask the cop to hold their I.D. up to your camera, or peep. They are required to carry it with them whilst on-duty...and likely at all times, with most agencies.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I just don't answer the door, if I did not ask them to come over, I do not want to talk to them.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »