Need help…tracers…what’s the “rulz”

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Need help…tracers…what’s the “rulz”

Post by Doc »

My Google-fu is weak.

I can’t seem to find any laws in AZ regarding tracers.

I know I’ve bought them and shot them in AZ in the past but that was a decade ago.

All I can find is the same recycled article telling me tracers are an explosive regulated by the Fed Bois

Any help is appreciated. I’d rather cover my ass than deal w an uninformed LEO trying to ruin my fun.

omegaman

Re: Need help…tracers…what’s the “rulz”

Post by omegaman »

I think most gov/state land is a no go for shooting them. You can buy them shoot them on private land.
Doc

Post by Doc »

omegaman wrote: December 5th, 2022, 1:28 pm I think most gov/state land is a no go for shooting them. You can buy them shoot them on private land.
This doesn’t even come close to helping.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

What that you can shoot them on private land? Or were you asking if its legal to own them?
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Arizona does not:

Require a license for the sale of ammunition;
Require a license to purchase or possess ammunition;
Require sellers of ammunition to maintain a record of the purchasers;
Prohibit persons who are ineligible to possess firearms under state law from possessing ammunition, although federal ammunition purchaser prohibitions apply; or
Prohibit armor-piercing and other unreasonably dangerous ammunition, although federal prohibition on certain kinds of armor-piercing ammunition applies.
----------------------------------------------------
With regards to hunting:

Section R12-4-303 - Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition
A. In addition to the prohibitions prescribed under A.R.S. §§ 17-301 and 17-309, the following devices, methods, and ammunition are unlawful for taking wildlife in this state:
1. A person shall not use any of the following to take wildlife:
a. Fully automatic firearms, including firearms capable of selective automatic fire.
b. Tracer or armor-piercing ammunition designed for military use.
---------------------------------------------------------
When shooting on public lands,
The use of fireworks, exploding targets, tracer ammunition and other incendiary devices is prohibited on BLM Arizona-managed public land. Fire Prevention Order: AZ910-2015-0001
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Like we don’t have enough land closures and fires here already.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

TheAccountant wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:55 am Like we don’t have enough land closures and fires here already.
Well, not to dump on your post.... there are actually tracer ammo/bullets that are "not incendiary".
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

delta6 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:48 am Arizona does not:

Prohibit armor-piercing and other unreasonably dangerous ammunition, although federal prohibition on certain kinds of armor-piercing ammunition applies.
...unless you are shooting at Gil's steel targets... :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

omegaman wrote: December 6th, 2022, 9:03 am What that you can shoot them on private land? Or were you asking if its legal to own them?
I’m looking for actual reference material. Last think I need is some LEO and their “well I think it’s not legal” because as much as I want to believe you I don’t think the defense of “but a guy on the internet thinks differently”

I just want to have fun and avoid a costly conversation w an old lawyer in a black gown.
Doc

Post by Doc »

delta6 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:48 am Arizona does not:

Require a license for the sale of ammunition;
Require a license to purchase or possess ammunition;
Require sellers of ammunition to maintain a record of the purchasers;
Prohibit persons who are ineligible to possess firearms under state law from possessing ammunition, although federal ammunition purchaser prohibitions apply; or
----------------------------------------------------
With regards to hunting:

Section R12-4-303 - Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition
A. In addition to the prohibitions prescribed under A.R.S. §§ 17-301 and 17-309, the following devices, methods, and ammunition are unlawful for taking wildlife in this state:
1. A person shall not use any of the following to take wildlife:
a. Fully automatic firearms, including firearms capable of selective automatic fire.
b. Tracer or armor-piercing ammunition designed for military use.
---------------------------------------------------------
When shooting on public lands,
The use of fireworks, exploding targets, tracer ammunition and other incendiary devices is prohibited on BLM Arizona-managed public land. Fire Prevention Order: AZ910-2015-0001
Thank you.
Doc

Post by Doc »

TheAccountant wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:55 am Like we don’t have enough land closures and fires here already.
My question was directed to gain knowledge and work within the rules.

My goal isn’t to burn down the lands I enjoy or get them closed.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

delta6 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:11 pm
Well, not to dump on your post.... there are actually tracer ammo/bullets that are "not incendiary".
I’m aware of Ammo Inc’s offering, maybe there are others, but given the context of the OP it’s pretty clear that’s not what he was asking about.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

OK - I'll be the a-hole and I will dump on his post... Let's stop with the "because a stupid person might do stupid things I'm going to assume that everyone is going to be stupid / irresponsible" type of thinking. The OP was looking for specific information about legalities around that product. Why not just give them that information (if you have it) instead of crapping on them with the assumption that they are going to do something stupid?

This is the type of thinking - the assumption of irresponsible use - is the same sort of thinking that leads to anti-2A / anti-gun law pushing. Assuming that the existence and use of a thing means that all users are going to be stupid is the logic used to say that no-one should own a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds - or a "fully-semi-automatic" weapon - or a bump stock - or a pistol brace - or...

Hell - we've now got the neighborhood Karen association screaming for fireworks bans because some moron might cause a fire... yeah... well... for plenty of years non-morons have used fireworks to celebrate the new year and Independence Day without burning things down. Heck - I've used them - in my back yard - when my kiddos were little - and never - not once - did I burn anything down. Why? Because we made sure not to point them at flammable stuff... amazing how that works.

Want to buy and use tracers? Are they legal? If so - go for it... if you use them out in the desert in the middle of the dry season and spark a wild fire - well - you are an idiot and I'd have no issue with you being found responsible for the losses caused by the fire. Want to use them in a responsible place and manner - God bless you - have a great time.

</rant>
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

BigNate wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:36 am
OK - I'll be the a-hole and I will dump on his post... Let's stop with the "because a stupid person might do stupid things I'm going to assume that everyone is going to be stupid / irresponsible" type of thinking. The OP was looking for specific information about legalities around that product. Why not just give them that information (if you have it) instead of crapping on them with the assumption that they are going to do something stupid?

This is the type of thinking - the assumption of irresponsible use - is the same sort of thinking that leads to anti-2A / anti-gun law pushing. Assuming that the existence and use of a thing means that all users are going to be stupid is the logic used to say that no-one should own a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds - or a "fully-semi-automatic" weapon - or a bump stock - or a pistol brace - or...

Hell - we've now got the neighborhood Karen association screaming for fireworks bans because some moron might cause a fire... yeah... well... for plenty of years non-morons have used fireworks to celebrate the new year and Independence Day without burning things down. Heck - I've used them - in my back yard - when my kiddos were little - and never - not once - did I burn anything down. Why? Because we made sure not to point them at flammable stuff... amazing how that works.

Want to buy and use tracers? Are they legal? If so - go for it... if you use them out in the desert in the middle of the dry season and spark a wild fire - well - you are an idiot and I'd have no issue with you being found responsible for the losses caused by the fire. Want to use them in a responsible place and manner - God bless you - have a great time.

</rant>
Cool story, bro. The leap from saying a tracer can start fires to magazine bans is comical.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. That’s a concept many if our lovely out of state imports and resident idiots don’t understand, and the exact reason why we continue to get more and more laws and regulations. The weighting of risk versus reward is skewed in their selfish minds because the reward is theirs and the risk is everyone else’s. I think I’m on pretty solid ground assuming that anyone who would go out to open land in a state several years into a pretty decent drought and crank off tracers isn’t the most responsible person. Whether someone is “held responsible” for the fire after the fact is meaningless - there’s still hundreds, if not thousands, of acres burned. Not to mention it’ll be the rallying call to shut more land to shooting in general. Plenty of people just like you didn’t recognize they were the morons that start fires until the fire started.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

TheAccountant wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:34 am Cool story, bro. The leap from saying a tracer can start fires to magazine bans is comical.
It is the same train of thought... "because an evil or stupid person can do something evil or stupid with it - no one should be able to have them..." Same logic...

TheAccountant wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:34 am Plenty of people just like you didn’t recognize they were the morons that start fires until the fire started.
So there you go again... because a stupid / irresponsible person exists - no one should be able to have them. You might want to live in a world where the gubbermunt protects "everyone" by telling everyone that they are not allowed to do things that if done wrong could hurt them. Sorry... I don't want to live in that sort of society - and candidly I'm disgusted to see how much of our population seems totally happy to jettison freedom in the name of the perception of safety. Hell - most of the places that I've shot for DECADES, without ever starting a single fire, are now posted as closed / no shooting on the grounds of fire risk. The moron do-gooder- Karen types have lobbied to have them shut down because they are afraid that someone stupid will start a fire (or they are afraid of guns in general).

If you had said: "whatever you do - if you are going to shoot tracers out here, please recognize that an incendiary tracer will burn for quite a while after it is stopped - make sure you know where it will stop and that you aren't going to start a fire..." I'd have no issue with it - but you didn't - you assumed the worst. Maybe you should go lobby for closing of more public land to shooting - you know - bullets can spark.

Peace