FFL’s Advice Needed: want to buy a rifle, guy lives in Vegas…

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

FFL’s Advice Needed: want to buy a rifle, guy lives in Vegas…

Post by Doc »

Hey there. Wanted to ask because IDK

I found a guy with a long rifle for sale. Out of Vegas. Don’t want to ship and risk theft.

What are my options?

Drive there and transfer with NV ffl?

He drives here to transfer with AZ ffl?

Is FFL transfer necessary?

Just want to avoid shipping. It’s not some everyday nonsense. It’s not a machine gun. It’s just a kick ass bolt gun I’ve been eyeballing a while. And I found one.

Azgunlover69

Re: FFL’s Advice Needed: want to buy a rifle, guy lives in Vegas…

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Pretty sure you can't transfer across state lines without an ffl. I believe the only legal way is to ship from him to your ffl.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

Azgunlover69 is correct.
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

Ship it insured.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Azgunlover69 wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:32 pm Pretty sure you can't transfer across state lines without an ffl. I believe the only legal way is to ship from him to your ffl.
So could I drive to Vegas, meet at local Vegas FFL and perform the transfer or is mailing to AZ FFL the only way?

Goals:
-1st avoid anything illegal
-2nd avoid UPS “loosing” another firearm
Doc

Post by Doc »

Drmark wrote: March 21st, 2022, 6:55 am Ship it insured.
Yeah that might be the only way and it doesn’t make me excited.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Doc wrote: March 21st, 2022, 7:10 am
Azgunlover69 wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:32 pm Pretty sure you can't transfer across state lines without an ffl. I believe the only legal way is to ship from him to your ffl.
So could I drive to Vegas, meet at local Vegas FFL and perform the transfer or is mailing to AZ FFL the only way?

Goals:
Not unless you have valid Nevada license.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Azgunlover69 wrote: March 21st, 2022, 7:13 am
Doc wrote: March 21st, 2022, 7:10 am

Goals:
Not unless you have valid Nevada license.
No, I’m AZ all the way.

f***.

Appreciate the clarity.

Thanks, better than catching a charge or wasting my time/realtor get told the same truths 100’s of miles away from home.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

No problem. Sorry it wasn't what u were hoping for.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Doc,
I would not worry about shipping. Can it get lost or stolen, sure, but I ship 5 plus guns a month and have never had an issue, sending it USPO registered mail, insured. It is the most secure mail/shipping service (protected by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks, and keys). This is the method that most all MG dealers ship their firearms.
Just have your guy in Nevada, ship the gun registered to an FFL in AZ and you'll b good to go.
Doc

Post by Doc »

delta6 wrote: March 21st, 2022, 8:32 am Doc,
I would not worry about shipping. Can it get lost or stolen, sure, but I ship 5 plus guns a month and have never had an issue, sending it USPO registered mail, insured. It is the most secure mail/shipping service (protected by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks, and keys). This is the method that most all MG dealers ship their firearms.
Just have your guy in Nevada, ship the gun registered to an FFL in AZ and you'll b good to go.
appreciate the advice. It’s the route I’ll go

Anyone have an FFL in Vegas they like? I’ll send him there, confirm SN and send payment.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Doc wrote: March 21st, 2022, 8:53 am
delta6 wrote: March 21st, 2022, 8:32 am Doc,
appreciate the advice. It’s the route I’ll go

Anyone have an FFL in Vegas they like? I’ll send him there, confirm SN and send payment.
Ask your dealer here in Phoenix, if he knows of one he deals with in Vegas.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

You folks are aware that a long gun may be purchased in a state other than your state of residence, so long as the purchase does not break the laws of either state, correct?

I'm not saying from individual to individual, but a person can purchase from an FFL in another state. So, a person from Ohio (or Nevada, NM, Iowa, WY, etc...) can come to AZ, present their OH (or other relatively Red State) ID, do their background check, and purchase a long gun here, and walk out the door the same day...so long as neither state's laws are broken.

So, I would think that Doc could do the same in LV, assuming that an FFL there is willing to do the background check, for their typical transfer fee, I'm sure. I'd make danged certain that the FFL in question was on board with this, make certain that your ID is completely correct (address on ID is your current and correct home, your name is spelled correctly on your ID, its not close to expiring, and it's not cracked, falling apart, or some info is unreadable due to aging issues), so as not to make the trip for nothing.

I know that Cabela's sells long guns to out of state residents all the time...and they're picky as hell about following the letter of the law. Something you may wish to consider, and look into.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

Bullzaye wrote: March 21st, 2022, 9:07 am You folks are aware that a long gun may be purchased in a state other than your state of residence, so long as the purchase does not break the laws of either state, correct?

I'm not saying from individual to individual, but a person can purchase from an FFL in another state. So, a person from Ohio (or Nevada, NM, Iowa, WY, etc...) can come to AZ, present their OH (or other relatively Red State) ID, do their background check, and purchase a long gun here, and walk out the door the same day...so long as neither state's laws are broken.

So, I would think that Doc could do the same in LV, assuming that an FFL there is willing to do the background check, for their typical transfer fee, I'm sure. I'd make danged certain that the FFL in question was on board with this, make certain that your ID is completely correct (address on ID is your current and correct home, your name is spelled correctly on your ID, its not close to expiring, and it's not cracked, falling apart, or some info is unreadable due to aging issues), so as not to make the trip for nothing.

I know that Cabela's sells long guns to out of state residents all the time...and they're picky as hell about following the letter of the law. Something you may wish to consider, and look into.
Right - FFls sell/deliver long guns to nonresidents over the counter all the time. It’s only handguns that have to be shipped to the home state. NV private sales have to run through FFLs regardless, so I’m sure this isn’t brand new for FFLs up there.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Okay. So it’s a long rifle.

I’ll reach out to FFLs in Vegas.

Anyone know a “easy to work with” FFL there?