Supreme Court is preparing to hear a gun rights case

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
Tenring
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Supreme Court is preparing to hear a gun rights case

Post by Tenring »

“The stakes really could not be higher,” said Jonathan Lowy, chief counsel at the gun control group Brady.

https://www.peoplealwayswin.com/2021/11 ... kes-quick/

Suck My Glock

Re: Supreme Court is preparing to hear a gun rights case

Post by Suck My Glock »

I listened to the arguments today. I think a 6-3 victory striking down the NY law is almost assured, though the breadth of the decision will be interesting to see. As usual, Justice Alito was the best with his questioning, followed by Kavanaugh and the Chief. I was disappointed that Paul Clement (Attorney for the NY Rifle and Pistol Association) for the challengers conceded to Justice Kagan that the government could ban guns on university campuses when they were discussing "sensitive places," and I was also disappointed that he didn't make a stronger push for the Court to always apply "strict scrutiny" to all government regulations that impinge on an individual's 2A rights, but these criticisms might be quibbling. Mr. Clement did a much better job than the government lawyers, especially the NY solicitor general who seemed lost and unable to defend why celebrities and rich people are entitled to self-defense protection but not a nurse who works until midnight and has to traverse high crime areas to get home (to paraphrase Justice Alito's excellent question). The bottom line is that a 6-3 win at some level seems assured.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Suck My Glock wrote: November 7th, 2021, 3:24 pm I listened to the arguments today. I think a 6-3 victory striking down the NY law is almost assured, though the breadth of the decision will be interesting to see. As usual, Justice Alito was the best with his questioning, followed by Kavanaugh and the Chief. I was disappointed that Paul Clement (Attorney for the NY Rifle and Pistol Association) for the challengers conceded to Justice Kagan that the government could ban guns on university campuses when they were discussing "sensitive places," and I was also disappointed that he didn't make a stronger push for the Court to always apply "strict scrutiny" to all government regulations that impinge on an individual's 2A rights, but these criticisms might be quibbling. Mr. Clement did a much better job than the government lawyers, especially the NY solicitor general who seemed lost and unable to defend why celebrities and rich people are entitled to self-defense protection but not a nurse who works until midnight and has to traverse high crime areas to get home (to paraphrase Justice Alito's excellent question). The bottom line is that a 6-3 win at some level seems assured.

And once again, I would imagine the NRA is desperately attempting to sabotage this case behind the scenes, and if we win, they will once again attempt to take credit.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

Listened to this while driving today.
He does a brief intro and then the arguments start.
It's definitely worth the listen and I agree, a 6-3 win is how it should go but I have little faith in most of them.