Selling a CA Compliant Gun to a CA Resident

Discuss the 2nd Amendment and issues that relate to our right to keep and bear arms.
brandoneqy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Selling a CA Compliant Gun to a CA Resident

Post by brandoneqy »

Hey all, can anyone point me in the right direction of selling a CA Compliant Rifle (that I already own) to a friend in California. Last thing I want to do is break state laws.

I searched on Google as much as I could. Could I just have an FFL here ship it to an FFL there, he get it registered and be done?

Thanks in advance

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Selling a CA Compliant Gun to a CA Resident

Post by XJThrottle »

Not 100% sure on Cali end, but if the receiving dealer will take firearms from a NON FFl, you can just send it to the dealer with out the BS on your end.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

CA FFL's can't take out of state transfers from non-FFL...you have to be on some kind of CA Approved FFL list, and notify the state of the transfer, have the transfer approved, and print out copies of the approval for the receiving CA FFL. Not many AZ FFL's even bother to deal with this BS.

It's called the California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) Program.
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs
brandoneqy

Post by brandoneqy »

QuietM4 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 1:30 pm CA FFL's can't take out of state transfers from non-FFL...you have to be on some kind of CA Approved FFL list, and notify the state of the transfer, have the transfer approved, and print out copies of the approval for the receiving CA FFL. Not many AZ FFL's even bother to deal with this BS.

It's called the California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) Program.
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs
This was their second FAQ
“ I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?

No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.”
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

XJThrottle wrote: March 10th, 2021, 12:26 pm Not 100% sure on Cali end, but if the receiving dealer will take firearms from a NON FFl, you can just send it to the dealer with out the BS on your end.
Private citizens cannot legally mail firearms. Only an FFL can ship a firearm and it needs to go to another FFL

(Factory warranty different set of rules)
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

etprescottaz01 wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:23 pm
XJThrottle wrote: March 10th, 2021, 12:26 pm Not 100% sure on Cali end, but if the receiving dealer will take firearms from a NON FFl, you can just send it to the dealer with out the BS on your end.
Private citizens cannot legally mail firearms. Only an FFL can ship a firearm and it needs to go to another FFL

That's certainly not true. There is nothing "illegal" about it...carriers just don't want to do it without certain restrictions that FedEx/UPS/USPS impose on themselves. Some FFL's don't want to accept an incoming firearm from a person, but there is no federal law against it....they are just picky and/or lazy. UPS Stores won't do it because it is against their store policy, not a law. I've shipped dozens of firearms via FedEx over the years...you just have to drop it off at one of their hubs.
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

QuietM4 wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:46 pm
etprescottaz01 wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:23 pm

That's certainly not true. There is nothing "illegal" about it...carriers just don't want to do it without certain restrictions that FedEx/UPS/USPS impose on themselves. Some FFL's don't want to accept an incoming firearm from a person, but there is no federal law against it....they are just picky and/or lazy. UPS Stores won't do it because it is against their store policy, not a law. I've shipped dozens of firearms via FedEx over the years...you just have to drop it off at one of their hubs.
Because someone is ignorant to a law does not make something okay, check regulations yourself, don't take advice from people online regarding what's legal with a firearm.