Pro Mag magazines

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
1bardan+
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Pro Mag magazines

Post by 1bardan+ »

Has anyone here had good experience fixing ProMags? I've got 3 of them for a Sig, 2 are awful 1 is marginal. The problem is the follower gets hung up. When this happens, all the ammo just falls out the top when turned upside down or just doesn't feed in the gun. I tried using a stone on one of the followers to make it smoother in the body , but still it hangs up. The Sig mags made in Italy are 100% flawless, even though they look outwardly the same.
Any ideas?

Harrier

Re: Pro Mag magazines

Post by Harrier »

I can't believe that trash is still being sold. Pro-Mag has had a bad rap on most all their products at least for 20 years I can remember- I got burned by their made in USA advertising more than once. Now when i find any... they are targets
PK90

Post by PK90 »

Sand the follower down to make it not stick.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

AZ1182 wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:58 pm Oh, I have an idea but you won't like it.

It involves a hammer, trash can, and buying the actual OEM Mec Gar magazines.
Agreed. Nothing made by Pro-Mag is good. It is simply amazing they still exist as a company.

I know that Sig magazines are considered "expensive" for some reason...but I'd rather spend $50 for a magazine I know will work, than spend $25 on a mag that most likely won't work, unless I spend more money and time to make it work.
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

The one I ground on, I might as well keep grinding till it either works or is dust. The other one might just get used on a vendetta to inform the shooting world of the quality of this junk.
But the funny part is, gun people are good about informing other gun people on bad stuff so why is Pro Mag still in business?
If I owned a gunshop and customers said these things don't work, they would be sent back to the manufacturer with a note of go into another line of business, I suggest shovels or pingpong balls.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

They're made in USA, but they import their workers from China.

Had one of them as a guest with us when we had a house with a spare room that we rented via AirBnB. He was a plastics injection mold maker type of tech weenie. He was working on gun products but had never even handled or shot one. I took him out once so he could see what I was talking about. I tried to explain to him that he had to engineer their products better because gun guys like me considered them trash. He wasn't high up the food chain enough to have any pull like that. But he was absolutely tickled to shoot the Chinese AK and the Mosin.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

The only people that should buy Pro Mag magazines are people that know how to work on stuff and have the time. Every one I have work, but only after I tweaked the hell out of them.
Vyadmirer

Post by Vyadmirer »

The only reason to buy pro mag is for malfunction drills. Seriously. They suck. All of them.
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Horrible experiences with my bro in laws Pro-Mag .50 Desert Eagle magazine and high capacity .40 Glock - I'll never buy again.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

If you need Sig mags check out Mec-Gar mags. They are an OEM manufacturer for Sig and the mags marketed under their brand name are the same as factory labeled Sig mags at half the cost. I probably only have 3-4 factory Sig mags and at least a dozen Mec-Gars. Never a problem with the Mec-Gars.
The guy is a good source. https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer- ... vp4sqk7g73
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

Mec-Gar makes a good mag. I probably have 5-6 of their 1911 mags. Same with Wilson. Shooting Star I've had small probs with but not to the total failure mode of Promag.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Pale Rider wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:46 am The only people that should buy Pro Mag magazines are people that know how to work on stuff and have the time. Every one I have work, but only after I tweaked the hell out of them.
Those of us that know how to work on stuff have better things to do with our time, plus we don't have to waste more time and ammo finding out if the mods worked. No-one should stake their life on 'maybe it will work this time'.
I'll only take a ProMag to the range as a target.
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

Harrier wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:25 am
Pale Rider wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:46 am The only people that should buy Pro Mag magazines are people that know how to work on stuff and have the time. Every one I have work, but only after I tweaked the hell out of them.
Those of us that know how to work on stuff have better things to do with our time, plus we don't have to waste more time and ammo finding out if the mods worked. No-one should stake their life on 'maybe it will work this time'.
I'll only take a ProMag to the range as a target.
I love this f**king place.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Had a duckbill on a sks that worked perfectly with 8 rounds in it.
Wouldn't hold 30. Capped at 27 rounds. Looked cool but was the ******* biggest POS. Damn thing had LESS capacity than the stock magazine.

Only good for shredding with prejudice with ammo and beating ****-less with a hammer flat.
Buckshot Bill

Post by Buckshot Bill »

What I'd like to know is how the hell does promag stay in busuness? Is it because they sell their crap to people that don't know what garbage it is?
[Maybe I just answered my own question]

Buckshot Bill