Tritium dot went dark, TruGlo fixed it

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Tritium dot went dark, TruGlo fixed it

Post by smithers599 »

I have TruGlo TFO sights on several of my pistols. They are my new favorite sights. Tritium for shooting in the dark; fiber optic for shooting in the light.

I put TFOs on a Kimber 1911, and overnight, one of the rear dots just went dark. Not got dimmer over time, as you would expect. These are just a few months old, and just like that, burned out like a light bulb.

Called TruGlo, no problems or pushback. They sent me a prepaid shipping label, and I sent the slide back. It arrived back today, with new sights. So, as far as customer service, no problems at all.

Still, I am wondering how that happened. I have read that you have to install them gently, with a sight installation tool instead of a hammer, because a sharp blow could break the vial and let the tritium gas leak out. For that reason, I have TFO sights installed by a gunsmith. (Wright Armory). I don't recall any hard bumps with the gun.

Maybe the sights were just made defectively. If you make enough of any product, some lemons are bound to get through. Maybe I just got a bad one.

I noticed on the return packing slip a warning that said "Don't get oil or cleaning solvent on the sights, because that could damage both tritium and fiber optics." That's a possibility. I clean my guns by taking them out in the back yard and spraying them with brake cleaner to get the heavy stuff off, then proceed to gentler cleaning with M-Pro 7 and ultimately, oil.

So, from now on, cleaning/lube with solvent and oil only, being careful not to get anything on the sights.

Those of you who have fiber optic and/or tritium sights may want to consider that.

Suck My Glock

Re: Tritium dot went dark, TruGlo fixed it

Post by Suck My Glock »

Glad to hear TruGlo stood behind their product. That gives me confidence to consider their products.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I believe Trijicon owns Truglo, makes me think it's one of those same quality cheaper price type deals, just like Meg-Gar
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Key takeaway is don't use chemical cleaners on the sights.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Yes, and it’s good they gave you a replacement