Bizarre Problem with an AK

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
Pipedoc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Bizarre Problem with an AK

Post by Pipedoc »

So I purchased a AK from another board member. Was told the rifle only had 30 rds through it and it looks like new. Took it out and shot it last weekend and it worked great for 35-40 rds. Then it don't go bang anymore. Pulled the top cover and the firing pin fell totally out of the rifle. Bagged up the gun and took it home. Took it apart and here's where it gets strange. The firing pin retaining pin was fully engaged and the firing pin would not go back into proper position. Took a pin removal tool and removed the retaining pin and the firing pin drops into place as it should. Reinstalled the retaining pin and all seems fine now. Question is how could this happen? I'd understand if the retaining pin was damaged or the firing pin was damaged but both look like new. Any ideas, in 45 years of shooting I never heard of something like this. I'd love to hear some ideas. thx Doc :doh:
Last edited by Pipedoc on May 13th, 2020, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullzaye

Re: Bizarre Problem with an AK

Post by Bullzaye »

It's been awhile since I've messed around (or even handled) one of my AKs, so I'm really spit-balling here. I don't recall...is it possible to insert the firing pin, and then install the retaining pin incorrectly, in such a way that the firing pin is just essentially "laying there"? (Edited to explain: Actually, I'm saying the firing pin would be incorrectly installed...not inserted far enough into the bolt, before the retaining pin was installed. Not literally installing the retaining pin "incorrectly"!)

So that, it worked for a while, until the rifle was tilted, or otherwise moved in such a way that the firing pin finally got out of position, and then just fell out...because it was never properly retained by the retaining pin?

I guess I should've gone and pulled an AK out of the safe, and taken a look at it before I responded. But frankly...I'm feeling too damned lazy right this moment.
weenis

Post by weenis »

Oil the firing pin. If it still does it, look for any burs that might be on the firing pin that would cause it to hang up on the retaining pin.
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

It seems to be okay, I just cannot understand that with the retaining pin in place, how could the firing pin fall out. If the retaining pin is in place, the firing pin does not go far enough into the bolt to contact a primer. Once I removed the retaining pin and reinstalled the firing pin, all seems normal.
weenis

Post by weenis »

Pipedoc wrote: May 13th, 2020, 8:03 am It seems to be okay, I just cannot understand that with the retaining pin in place, how could the firing pin fall out. If the retaining pin is in place, the firing pin does not go far enough into the bolt to contact a primer. Once I removed the retaining pin and reinstalled the firing pin, all seems normal.
lol, "fell". I didn't put 2 and 2 together.
Then it don't go bang anymore. Pulled the top cover and the firing pin for totally out of the rifle.
This is weird. LMK if it still happens, and i'll get you some measurements on the diameter of the firing pin. Also, doublecheck the hole for the retaining pin, ensure it's at the proper angle. I would assume if it's not aligned appropriately, if it's at an angle, the firing pin wouldn't be appropriately stopped by the entire ledge on the firing pin, but just a corner. If the firing pin turned, it might come out.

I guess you could test that theory with some needle nose pliers. Grab the firing pin with the retaining pin in place, see if you can pull the firing pin out while turning it clockwise/counter clockwise. Don't use retard strength, just moderate strength.
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

good idea, I'll try it later today or tonight. Sorry about the confusion, I fixed it in the original post lol.
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

I know this topic is a bit older but a similar thing happened to me years ago. My problem was that it fired out of battery, blew the primer apart and my firing pin flew out the back of the bolt. I opened it up and the FP was laying behind the hammer in the receiver but mine did have noticeable damage from being forced past the retaining pin.