trash from suppressor

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

trash from suppressor

Post by smithers599 »

Latest acquisition: a Browning 1911-22, threaded for suppressor.
With the suppressor attached, I get a lot of trash coming back into my face. A lot. Feels like being in a sandstorm. I have several other .22 pistols that I shoot with the same suppressor (Gemtech Outback), and that doesn't happen with them, so it's not the suppressor. Something about the Browning is different.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any ideas for a fix, besides wearing a full mask?

Suck My Glock

Re: trash from suppressor

Post by Suck My Glock »

I suspect that unburnt powder granules are being flung back at you, and it may have to do with how the extractor is flinging out the case. If your other weapons tend to throw casings straight out towards the 90 degrees, but this one maybe is throwing them back a little further toward you,...that could be all it is. If so, there's not much you can do, unless you mess with the extractor and ejector to try to change the dynamic,...and that can be a real can of worms you might be sorry you tried.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I had the same issues with a Walther P22 and Ruger SR22....which is why I don't uses those for suppressor hosts any longer. Now sure why it happens, but it could be an extractor issue...but it could also be an blowback/timing issue. My Ruger MKIV does the same thing, but 10% of the P22/SR22.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Funny, I had a Walther and a Ruger SR22, and never had the problem. Also have a 22/45 and a Beretta tip-up barrel; no probs with those.

I think I will try to see if I can find a replacement recoil spring. Maybe slowing down or speeding up the slide will change the timing enough to direct the trash elsewhere.
Viperdisorder

Post by Viperdisorder »

Could the ammo, copper jacket is all I shoot, cci seems best