Rem 870 feeding issues

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
Razai
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Rem 870 feeding issues

Post by Razai »

My son’s 870 12 gauge has a feeding issue I haven’t seen before. It ejects spent shells, but gets hung up when chambering the next one. I have never has a pump shotgun that did not feed as designed. I’m no smith, but I don’t see or feel anything obvious.
I guess this might better fit under “Services Needed” as I’ll pay to have it fixed, but I really don’t know what the issue is.
Thoughts ?

Viper 1-26 INF

Re: Rem 870 feeding issues

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

Carrier dog follower spring? Getting caught on the edge of the chamber?
Razai

Post by Razai »

I honestly can’t diagnose it. It happens every time my son works the action, about 50% of the time when a buddy tries it, and about 10% of the time for me.
If it was a single issue, I feel like the failure rate should be more consistent, but it does happen for every shooter that has tried.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Seems to me, that a mechanical/part failure should be more consistent, with all users,.... so, maybe it is just getting dirty, and / or, worn,... and an exaggerated pumping action is needed,.... just a thought.

When was the last time you completely broke it down, for an extensive cleaning?
Razai

Post by Razai »

I would agree, as I can’t ID any broken or damaged parts. I’ve owned too many pump shotguns to believe that grit (of almost any amount) could be the culprit, but I’ll tear it down and clean it thoroughly.
There is something wrong, I was hoping someone on here might be or know of a solid gunsmith.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Razai , You probably have already addressed this, SHORT STROKING, but I'll throw it at you just to cover the simplest solution.

I would load her up and with determination, shoot and cycle slowly but with as much force as possible, on the pull back/ejection cycle until it dead ends solidly,... not just back enough to eject the shell.

But, like I said, you probably already addressed this point.

I don't have a 870 shotgun, I have a 7615Police which is built on the 870 platform and I can fail to function sometimes when I try to hot rod it, trying to get the next round in as quick as I can,... but, I don't shoot it much, so lack of familiarity and being like new, could be my problem as well, who knows. It's not one of my primary weapons.

My packing buddy carried a 870 for most of his tour's in Vietnam,.... even he could fail to have proper cycling, if he tried to show off his speed shoot ability.

Anyway,... just a thought,... good luck.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I was authoritatively racking it and it worked about 95% of the time for me, but I was really puttimg force into it. It was uncomfortable after a while. I have never had to be so intentional. Anything less resulted in hang ups
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,... I would investigate how dirty it is, particularly in the cycling mechanism. You may come across something while you are doing such, like something bent or something coming loose from forceful cycling.

Just a guess.