TP9SFx jams **Update 12/24/18**

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

TP9SFx jams **Update 12/24/18**

Post by Pro2a »

I know there's been a bit of a light jamming (mostly ftf) issue that's spoken about on the internet, but my local GS says Canik recommends to run 500 rounds of 124gr and the issue goes away.
Has anybody had this problem and worked through it? Did you need to send it back, or just do some polishing?
I was really surprised to see that knockonit got one. It was in another thread that I can't locate right now. How's your's running rj? I totally love mine right out the box, but I want to get this feeding prob out the dam way.
Last edited by Pro2a on December 24th, 2018, 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

weever82

Post by weever82 »

Last edited by weever82 on October 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro2a

Re: TP9SFx jams

Post by Pro2a »

Well, WWB was exactly what I was for sale in that weight, so I snatched it up.
So I'll be moving on to another brand for the rest of "break in" and see what happens.
Thanks weev
I usually have a standard that guns should run from the get go, but for the way this shoots, I'm willing to work through it.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well i have about 200 rounds of 115gr thru mine,and don't recall any issues. other than my struggling with the red dot'

will advise as time allows
Rj
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

knockonit wrote: October 24th, 2018, 1:33 pm well i have about 200 rounds of 115gr thru mine,and don't recall any issues. other than my struggling with the red dot'

Rj
Amen to that....My local GS tac-man says using a red dot needs some adjustment time, and not to give up too soon, it will come.
weever82

Post by weever82 »

Last edited by weever82 on October 22nd, 2019, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

weever82 wrote: October 25th, 2018, 9:30 am
They do say they shoot amazing and the trigger is awesome for factory.
I'll back that, although it's my first 5" pistol barrel
Flash

Post by Flash »

knockonit wrote: October 24th, 2018, 1:33 pm well i have about 200 rounds of 115gr thru mine,and don't recall any issues. other than my struggling with the red dot'

Rj
I adapted to a red dot on my Sig MPX in around 3 minutes flat, but on a handgun, it was different.

Took me 3 weeks, around 150 rounds of ammo and I finally got it 2 weeks ago or so. It was odd as I always felt like when the dot was on the target the barrel was aimed at the floor, but it wasn't obviously.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Flash wrote: October 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm I adapted to a red dot on my Sig MPX in around 3 minutes flat, but on a handgun, it was different.

Took me 3 weeks, around 150 rounds of ammo and I finally got it 2 weeks ago or so. It was odd as I always felt like when the dot was on the target the barrel was aimed at the floor, but it wasn't obviously.
I would suppose more like 3 seconds flat, it's a whole new world when you can weld your cheek right to the line of sight that includes the dot.
I have noticed, right when you think you're in the general neighborhood of the muzzle pointing at the target, you have to tip the muzzle downward just a skosh, and the dot pops right in. It's like it's a whole new grip angle. But I'm sure, with time, that will all become muscle memory.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

weever82 wrote: October 24th, 2018, 9:17 am I shoot steel matches and I have 2 buddies that shoot them carry optics every Tuesday. Both have had issues with them. One broke a firing pin but after that has been 100% reliable with 124gr. The other guy has the exact issues that your are describing. It HATES winchester white box, anything else it runs like a top. He has put about 1,000 rounds through his. He was going to let it "break in" like Canik suggested and try them again, if the issue is still present he is going to send it back. Just thought I would let you know what I have been seeing.
UPDATE======
I put another 100 rounds of Blazer 124gr thru this, and it's still doing the same thing.I have some S&B 124gr also, but I not convinced that brand or grain is the problem now.
I found a Canik board and it has helped to diffuse some of the internet chatter of what is really happening with things like this, it helps to call customer service and get the scoop right from the factory.
So I contacted Canik and expect some sort of response today, as others have reported fantastik customer service. Others have had this problem too, and the running of 124gr has helped in some cases.
They were also talking about easy-break firing pins too, and it seemed to be a MIM formula problem. Replacement firings pins and different powered springs were sent, and it seems to have alleviated the problem.
I attached 3 different FTF pictures, in my case I'm hoping that these FTFs are a ramp issue on the barrel, as it always jams to the left. There seems to be 2 gouges/imperfections on the ramp.
What do you guys think?

Pro2a

Re: TP9SFx jams **Update 12/24/18**

Post by Pro2a »

After performing the above mentioned work and replacing the recoil spring(not mentioned), I've run about another 100 rounds of 124 and 115, and it hasn't had a single malfunction.
As pictured below, they seem to have done a nice ramp job on it too.
Going to pick up to Federal aluminum or WWB crap to see if it can eat anything.
weever82, if your friend hasn't sent it back, I would say I had a very positive experience with Canik, and they even sent me a shipping label. They Fedex it back to your door, current turn around is 2-3 weeks.

weever82

Post by weever82 »

Last edited by weever82 on October 22nd, 2019, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

weever82 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 11:44 am Thats really good to know that they took care of it. Glad it all worked out. I will see him tonight and see if he is still having issues, if so I wouldn't hesitate to send it to them now.

Cheers!
Yeah it seems as though that rough barrel ramp was the problem, and horrible that the barrel escaped the factory in that condition if you ask me.
I bought some Federal 115gr aluminum, and mixed it with the brass 115gr and 124gr.
Haven't had a single malfunction, probably getting up to about 700 rounds now, and shot by about 6 different people- some of them--girls.....yech...
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Absolutely no issues with gun function, and am slowly adapting to the red dot, unit is amazingly accurate if i do my part.

last sat, the old gal took to shooting it, and well, kinda , sorta put me to shame, she shot is as if she had been shooting it forever, and now has kinda sorta decided its hers to shoot. ugh, might have to put a red dot on my new sig5x, hehee, only thing is, loading the mags makes one wanna take a break and catch up on his sleep for arm strength, when shooting it with so many rounds per mag. hehehe, but damm is it accurate.
Rj
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

The Canik is a very nice pistol for the money. I run 124 Nato in mine and I have 5 different models.