AK hammer following the carrier?

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

AK hammer following the carrier?

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Have an AK I haven’t fired in many months, today it decided to act up by having the hammer follow the carrier while holding the trigger and cocking it.
No idea why, checked it, nothing seems out of place, and no foreign debris in the trigger group area.

Ideas, comments, or possible reasons it’s just started doing it?

Cvz
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: AK hammer following the carrier?

Post by Cvz »

Can you post pics of the fcg? Is the disconnect grabbing the hammer when the trigger is held back if you cock the hammer by hand?
srfnken

Post by srfnken »

I do not think it just started doing it. Most likely been like that the whole time and you can see it skip if you hold the trigger all the way in for the function test. It may not skip often when live firing but I am sure it will. If you look at the slot in the trigger guard where the trigger pokes out of the receiver you will see that that slot is longer than normal. The foot of the trigger will not be stopped by the receiver and it will pass through the receiver. When I compared it to my azex build and the PSA one I just got in the shop, both of mine are short slots and yours is long. I believe this is your problem.
mtptwo
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by mtptwo »

Hammer isn't connecting with the disconnector. Did you forget the disconnector spring?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Gunslinger808 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 3:58 pm Have an AK I haven’t fired in many months, today it decided to act up by having the hammer follow the carrier while holding the trigger and cocking it.
No idea why, checked it, nothing seems out of place, and no foreign debris in the trigger group area.

Ideas, comments, or possible reasons it’s just started doing it?
curious if you ever got this sorted out.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

mtptwo wrote: March 13th, 2024, 3:22 pm Hammer isn't connecting with the disconnector. Did you forget the disconnector spring?
Haven’t touched it, it’s an AZEX build I never had a problem with, last time I shot it it ran well.
Brought it out to sell and it decided to do this, embarrassing as hell when function check has it do that.
Sometimes the hammer does latch, but in this case sometimes is certainly not good enough.
If you look at the slot in the trigger guard where the trigger pokes out of the receiver you will see that that slot is longer than normal. The foot of the trigger will not be stopped by the receiver and it will pass through the receiver. When I compared it to my azex build and the PSA one I just got in the shop, both of mine are short slots and yours is long. I believe this is your problem.
It’s possible, I’ll just end up taking it to an AK smith and let them figure it out.
Any recommendations?

I’ll get a few pics up tomorrow including what srfnken mentioned, and sorry for not responding to you guys sooner, been out of town and really haven’t had time to deal with it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Gunslinger808 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 1:31 am
mtptwo wrote: March 13th, 2024, 3:22 pm Hammer isn't connecting with the disconnector. Did you forget the disconnector spring?
Haven’t touched it, it’s an AZEX build I never had a problem with, last time I shot it it ran well.
Brought it out to sell and it decided to do this, embarrassing as hell when function check has it do that.
Sometimes the hammer does latch, but in this case sometimes is certainly not good enough.
If you look at the slot in the trigger guard where the trigger pokes out of the receiver you will see that that slot is longer than normal. The foot of the trigger will not be stopped by the receiver and it will pass through the receiver. When I compared it to my azex build and the PSA one I just got in the shop, both of mine are short slots and yours is long. I believe this is your problem.
It’s possible, I’ll just end up taking it to an AK smith and let them figure it out.
Any recommendations?

I’ll get a few pics up tomorrow including what srfnken mentioned, and sorry for not responding to you guys sooner, been out of town and really haven’t had time to deal with it.
Take it over to Josh at Copperhead in Tempe

https://copperheadusa.com/
1bardan+

Post by 1bardan+ »

I had the same problem once. It was determined to be the hammer spring which also tensions the semi auto reset hook, but also look at that hook. If it’s chipped or broken, it may not grab the hammer.