What is the problem most often encountered?

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
Harrier
ArizonaShooting.org Member

What is the problem most often encountered?

Post by Harrier »

Other than out-of-the-box accuracy and running out of ammo...
what problems have you seen most often in guns you've had?
I guess we should qualify it between pistols and rifles (I'm not a big shotgun user so...).

Thinking back, I've been pretty lucky with very few problems in 60 years of shooting numerous guns but I would say the biggest issue that comes to mind with rifles is magazine feeding (I know, its the mag not the gun) and with pistols it is push-off from the bubba trigger job or a sprung yoke others caused from from flipping a cylinder shut while watching TV.

baby huey

Re: What is the problem most often encountered?

Post by baby huey »

Frankly the more I shoot, the more problems I see. I've gotten to the point I don't really trust any one brand, but I definitely shoot 9mm Glocks more than any pistol. As far as revolvers go, I've had two jam so bad in the last 20 years thatI don't believe the old " revolvers never jam" stuff.

ARs seem to be really reliable for me. My M1 Carbine was garbage. AKs somewhere in the middle
Flash

Post by Flash »

I'm probably going to be the exception here, but I don't have a problem most often encountered and I shoot at least twice a week, frequently 3 times. I shoot rifle, handguns, both revolvers and semi autos and shotguns, all O/U or pumps. Because of that I believe that I don't have problems beause I do maintenance regularly and also because I've been lucky.

I've probably been lucky as I've been shooting over 60 years and own quite a few guns, though not as many as some here.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Like you I haven't had many problems.
Thinking about revolvers, most of mine have been S&W with a couple of Colts. The older smiths would sometimes jam the cylinder up when the ejector rod unscrewed itself, that was before one of their improvements, reversed the threads I think.

I had a Rossi 357 lever action that broke the extractor- I fitted a new one from a Browning 92 clone.

All the nit-noid problems I have run into seem to be with recent production stuff.

My Savage 11 had the new style firing pin with a little spring at the rear of the bolt. You couldn't even shoot watered down loads without it blanking primers. I finally installed an older style firing pin with the spring up front and the problems went away.

A new Sig P290 would lite-strike constantly. it went back to them 6 times and they finally replaced it with another- no problems yet.

that's about it...
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

1911 extractors not being tensioned or cut correctly.
My glock 19 spraying brass everywhere, but reliable as a rock.
Bad aluminum ar15 mags.

And the number one is rust on friends firearms.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Yeah I think maybe feeding issues into and from magazines of all type might be at the top of the list.

The alum AR mags develop cracks at the rear where the top curves over to hold the cartridge. If it doesn't have an anti-tilt follower then nose down jams can be an issue.

With pistols it seems to be the angle of the cartridge as it's presented to the feed ramp- often they are too low.

I find both Rem & Savage bolt rifles a pain to thumb the cartridges in from the top- always have a wrestling match with them.
curtmini14

Post by curtmini14 »

seems 8 out of 10 are mostly magazine issues.and failure to properly clean there guns.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well, i'm thumping the wood over here pretty hard for luck, or continued luck, but can say, only issues i've had was with magazines, on pistols, i've never had issues with mags on rifles, well in country had some mags stick, but thats a different story. outside of that always mags it seemed. I will say, and most will call me a foul individual for poo pooing Kimber, but i've bought and owned quite a few, and i have yet to have one run a 100%, now its been a few years since i've owned, one, i tried, honestly tried and i love the look of them, most the fit and finish were great, but when a RIA can outrun a almost 800 dollar 1911 platform kimber, well, there had to be an issue. I own one, a compact (kimber) it runs ok, don't hardly shoot it, so figure thats why its ok, has a big note on it,
"do'nt ever buy another". Went sig, springfield, a few colts, now colts can be finicky, RIAS everyone less one mag issue runs like a top, a few dan wessons, damm nice shooters, love'm to death. quite a few norincos, not pretty, but if i do my part, you don['t want to be within 80yards in front of me.
and a few other off brands, if it don't work i don't keep it, and then there i paras, while they are no more, i have several micros i carry, damm accurate and damm nice.

its kinda how i feel about glock, i have a first gen 17, beat to death when i got it, i beat it to death in a truck , it runs, but i do not shoot it well, i've tried, it just doesn't like my mojo, so its a stand by for those that need a quickly,

I think mags and guns in general have gotten better, but still not gonna buy another kimber
Rj
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I'm a big 1911 fan, and by far the biggest problem I've seen is improperly tensioned extractors. I fit all mine before I even let the first shot go. Second are mags, especially trying to fit 8 rounds in a 7 round body by some magical follower.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Feed and extraction issues, generally magazine related.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Magazine related failures
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

curtmini14 wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 3:45 pm seems 8 out of 10 are mostly magazine issues.and failure to properly clean there guns.
Along with old poorly stored ammo or reloading errors.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

:think: Out of the box problems? Even though It just came from the factory final exspection is not like it was in the past. Burs, and polishing of parts and chambers are a must.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

People not using any lube or over cleaning it and removing any lube. Class AR went 3,000 rounds dirty as hell but super greased up and ran without problems. Had a 1911 running around the 2500 mark before I did anything to it and no problems too. Had a guy buy a brand new Glock 21 clean it and bring it out just to watch it jam. He soaked it solvent to get the "rust" out of his new gun not realizing it's grease. The majority of problems with guns people bring out are usually lube related the rest are a combination of improper manipulation or hasn't been touched since grandpa put it in the attic.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I would have to say feeding issues, generally associated with mags. I did have a FTF due to a dirty gun, but that was an experiment to see how dirty it needed to get before a failure. Now I know!