Rem 700 - Feeding Issues

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Rem 700 - Feeding Issues

Post by Old Jeff H »

I need a recommendation for a competent gunsmith.

About 10 years ago, I had my .204 Ruger Rem 700 rebarreled/rechambered in 223 Rem to shoot F-T/R. After the work was done, the rifle would not feed rounds from the magazine. They just run into the back of the chamber. I can single feed just fine by dropping on top of the follower, just not from the magazine. I also had a problem with the chamber leaving a ring in the body of the brass after firing. The smith fixed that by reaming it again, but told me the rifle just won't feed from the magazine anymore. Plenty of people have told me it absolutely should.

Any recommendations for someone I can trust to fix it?

Old Jeff H

Re: Rem 700 - Feeding Issues

Post by Old Jeff H »

Thank you. For something like this, I wouldn't mind driving and dropping it off for a while.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

When you say magazine, are you referring to some sort of DBM setup or the stock BDL?

My guess is it has nothing to do with the chamber and everything to do with the stock fitment and alignment of the bottom metal.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

TheAccountant wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:58 pm When you say magazine, are you referring to some sort of DBM setup or the stock BDL?

My guess is it has nothing to do with the chamber and everything to do with the stock fitment and alignment of the bottom metal.
The stock BDL magazine. I'll see if I can take some pics.
AZ1182 wrote: November 19th, 2020, 5:23 pm
Old Jeff H wrote: November 19th, 2020, 4:29 pm Thank you. For something like this, I wouldn't mind driving and dropping it off for a while.
Well if you do decide to come up and wouldn't mind meeting for lunch, let me know.
Roger that. Thanks for the invite.
Winmagbill
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Winmagbill »

I picked up a "lightly used" Remington VTR in 223 from the board years ago. They didnt bother telling me that it wouldn't feed anything but the first round. Thanks bro!

I tried resetting the action/box/ follower many times. Modified the spring since it seemed to have too much tension many times. Bought and tried a new spring when broke the original. All no joy. Then I bought a magazine extension. Thought was if the spring has too much tension then increase the range of the spring. Cost like $15 back when. So maybe that was it, maybe I finally installed everything just right, or maybe I bent the spring just right while installing everything but now it feeds great. Bonus I get extra capacity.

Here's something similar,
https://www.tacticalworks.com/Remington ... ction.html
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Thank you, Bill.

TheAccountant got me thinking, so I pulled the rifle out and decided to check it. According to my spreadsheet, the last time I fired this rifle was all the way back on 10/17/10, and that was before I changed the stock (and installed a Timney trigger). I grabbed a few different kinds of ammo, and it feeds just fine! :lol: Thank you, Sir.

Thinking I should put a scope back on it and go shoot a match. :D
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

AxisWorks in Tempe can handle it. It probably related to magazine fed-lips and/or magazine latch height. Reamers have nothing to do with feeding from a magazine, get a different smith.