What is the problem most often encountered?

Are you having problems with a rifle or handgun? Having problems with a magazine? This is the place to post for help or to help others. If you fixed that nagging problem with your AR-15, this is the place to post how you did it.
87jeep
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What is the problem most often encountered?

Post by 87jeep »

Stronghand wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:56 pm People not using any lube or over cleaning it and removing any lube. Class AR went 3,000 rounds dirty as hell but super greased up and ran without problems. Had a 1911 running around the 2500 mark before I did anything to it and no problems too. Had a guy buy a brand new Glock 21 clean it and bring it out just to watch it jam. He soaked it solvent to get the "rust" out of his new gun not realizing it's grease. The majority of problems with guns people bring out are usually lube related the rest are a combination of improper manipulation or hasn't been touched since grandpa put it in the attic.
The un oiled gun..... Or how to give a gun a bad name.

Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

My favorite was a guy who brought out a Mossbetg 500 from the 70s and the shellsrwere rusted into the tube and one in the chamber. It's cool though for the last 15 years it was serving as the home defense shotgun. Had to use a dowel and mallet just the clear the shell out of the chamber. Never occurred to him he shouldn't have been able to rack the action and not eject the shell. Had a similar incident with a old colt police snubnose 38 special. Rounds rust melded into the cylinders.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

Not cleaning them enough causes the most problems for me. Because most modern ammo is pretty clean I don't clean after every shoot, I let it go until I notice issues.
Comanchero

Post by Comanchero »

Feeding issues with hollowpoint ammo. I’ve run a lot of guns, various manufacturers both good and bad, and my most common issue has been a failure to feed certain types of hollow point ammo. Number one reason why I will never load a pistol up with hp ammo and call it good for self defense until I have run a few mags through it to verify correct function.

Second most common failure for me has probably been feeding/ejection/extraction issues caused by blown out/damaged/worn out gas rings, or gas tubes in the AR15.

Third most common issue has been parts breakage. All across various types of guns and manufacturers.

Most reliable handguns in my personal experience has been 9mm Glocks.

Most reliable rifles in my experience have been bolt action rifles.

Most reliable semi auto rifle in my experience has been the AK-47 in 7.62x39.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

This threads kind of old but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. Over the decades that I've been shooting I've found that, generally speaking, guns have gotten better over the years. You just have to be careful to buy the better quality brands and take care of them.

I think that CNC machining has enabled makers to be a lot more consistent in their tolerances and there are less variables in material quality. That's not to say all materials are better as some MIM parts are acceptable while some are far worse than the older forged steel pieces. It all comes down to each manufacturer's level of quality control. Some companies including some old time gun makers have issues. For instance, Remington always built good guns in the past but now have numerous quality issues. You just have to research it as word gets around fast in the shooting community.

Whenever I didn't follow my mantra of only buying good brands I had problems. For example, like when I'd buy a Kel-Tec because they make some interesting guns. However Kel-Tec's execution always seems to leave a lot to be desired resulting in issues. Bottom line- buy the better quality guns to begin with, use good magazines/ammo and you shouldn't have many problems if you keep your guns maintained.
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

Brand new straight out of the box firearms that do not function correctly.
Zanehenson
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Zanehenson »

Most issues that I have encountered through the years have occurred through three things; magazine malfunction, ammunition malfunction, and user error ie limp wristing a pistol. Most modern firearms are reliable as hell and require just basic maintenance and cleaning.
rocketscients

Post by rocketscients »

Action Pistol Failures:
FTE&Fail-to-lock-back caused by insufficient power factor for spring rates.
Opened up/damaged mag lips leading to double feeds.
FTE from improperly tensioned 1911 extractor
FTE from chipped SIG extractor.
Fiber optic flying out of a sight.
Overinserted magazine locking the action
Undercharge leading to a squib.

But, the single most common cause of failure I have seen:
User Error.
Whether it be not cleaning enough, underlubing, limp writing, riding the slide lock, having bad grip technique/trigger control, not inserting mags far enough, or any other number of things.
samnev

Post by samnev »

My only problem in over 60 years of shooting has been light primer hits.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

knockonit wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 4:57 pm I will say, and most will call me a foul individual for poo pooing Kimber, but i've bought and owned quite a few, and i have yet to have one run a 100%, now its been a few years since i've owned, one, i tried, honestly tried and i love the look of them, most the fit and finish were great, but when a RIA can outrun a almost 800 dollar 1911 platform kimber, well, there had to be an issue. I own one, a compact (kimber) it runs ok, don't hardly shoot it, so figure thats why its ok, has a big note on it,
"do'nt ever buy another". Went sig, springfield, a few colts, now colts can be finicky, RIAS everyone less one mag issue runs like a top,

I think mags and guns in general have gotten better, but still not gonna buy another kimber
Rj
That settles it, my next gun will be the RIA tactical 9mm that i've been drooling over
bill460

Post by bill460 »

Stronghand wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:56 pmPeople not using any lube or over cleaning it and removing any lube.
I must agree with this assessment. I can't begin to count the number of peoples firearms over the last 50+ years of shooting, I've managed to put back into service with nothing more than a can of lube... Or even a good spraying of WD-40. You know, the stuff everyone on the Internet tells you NEVER to use on firearms because, "It's NOT a lubricant".

Auto pistols not running because the slide and frame rails were bone dry and dirty. AR-15's dryer than the Sahara in June. O/U shotguns so tight and dry you could hardly open them without using your leg as a pivot point.

It amazes me how many shooters run their weapons this way. Perhaps it's because of all the misinformation they've read or hear about, "over lubrication". (Which does not translate into no lube what so ever). Or else they just don't know, or care.

Regardless, guns are machines. And machines require lubrication.
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

knockonit wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 4:57 pm well, i'm thumping the wood over here pretty hard for luck, or continued luck, but can say, only issues i've had was with magazines, on pistols, i've never had issues with mags on rifles, well in country had some mags stick, but thats a different story. outside of that always mags it seemed. I will say, and most will call me a foul individual for poo pooing Kimber, but i've bought and owned quite a few, and i have yet to have one run a 100%, now its been a few years since i've owned, one, i tried, honestly tried and i love the look of them, most the fit and finish were great, but when a RIA can outrun a almost 800 dollar 1911 platform kimber, well, there had to be an issue. I own one, a compact (kimber) it runs ok, don't hardly shoot it, so figure thats why its ok, has a big note on it,
"do'nt ever buy another". Went sig, springfield, a few colts, now colts can be finicky, RIAS everyone less one mag issue runs like a top, a few dan wessons, damm nice shooters, love'm to death. quite a few norincos, not pretty, but if i do my part, you don['t want to be within 80yards in front of me.
and a few other off brands, if it don't work i don't keep it, and then there i paras, while they are no more, i have several micros i carry, damm accurate and damm nice.

its kinda how i feel about glock, i have a first gen 17, beat to death when i got it, i beat it to death in a truck , it runs, but i do not shoot it well, i've tried, it just doesn't like my mojo, so its a stand by for those that need a quickly,

I think mags and guns in general have gotten better, but still not gonna buy another kimber
Rj
I've had same experience with Kimber's. I've owned 3 all were pretty looking jam o matics that would not even feed FMJ reliably. Traded the last one for a Remington R1, not very pretty, but runs anything through it I feed it. Most issues I've seen were magazine related. Specifically non factory mags. Using factory mags has eliminated a lot of issues but clean well oiled guns generally run pretty well.