MIG or TIG welder for HK G3 Build?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Fragout21
ArizonaShooting.org Member

MIG or TIG welder for HK G3 Build?

Post by Fragout21 »

I have used a MIG welder several years ago but I don’t have any experience using a TIG welder. I know I will need a welding machine so I can weld in the cocking tube for my HK G3 clone build. Would you recommend a MIG or a TIG welding machine for welding the cocking tube to the receiver?

DRTDIVR

Re: MIG or TIG welder for HK G3 Build?

Post by DRTDIVR »

MIG is like a hot glue gun. Effective, Fast, used in major production, not always as pretty in inexperienced hands.

TIG is going to be stronger, look better, it's slower but more precise.

I would TIG it. If you don't plan to weld much, have a welding shop do it. IF you plan to weld a lot, invest in a professional grade machine to save yourself a ton of grief. A quality machine for home use should last a lifetime and if it does have a problem, it can be serviced. I bought a Miller MultiMatic 220 about 2yrs ago and I absolutely love it. I could instantly tell the difference from the cheap MIG welders friends have purchased over the years for occasional use to weld broken stuff back together. It's what happens when you offroad a lot, you eventually brake something you need to weld.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A veeeeerrrryy experienced MIG welder can do an effective job. But TIG is where its at when doing sheet metal work, guns or not. I know a fellow who thought he was good enough with his MIG to do an UZI project,...and he was WRONG. That poor thing looked like it was stuck together with snot, and it warped.
Matwell

Post by Matwell »

Above comments are spot on.

Both types have their place, but MIG goes on fast, but not at all for the precision work you're looking for. Don't do it. TIG (Heliarc) is perfect for something small and thin. You can (or have it done at a shop) lay a little bead 1/8" wide and it'll look like a machine did it. Clean as a whistle.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

MIG uses the wire as the electrode so if its running its feeding material. TIG has an inert electrode and you feed welding rod in by hand, gives you much more control of how much weld you are adding and how much heat and penetration you are applying.
MIG and TIG are two completely different processes. MIG was basically a process that allowed more welding time than stick because you have a 5-30lb spool of wire rather than having to change rods every couple minutes. Its basically just a more efficient version of stick welding. TIG is for precise work and exotic materials where you need more control. There is nothing on a gun I would use MIG on
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I’ll do further research into TIG welding.
My66coupe

Post by My66coupe »

Another vote for tig!
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

TIG Welders do a great job with experienced TIG Welder. But its totally different than MIG welding as KIngJoey stated. One needs talent and or much practice to keep a TIG Skill level up.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I mean no offense - but if it were me - and I did not have a LOT of experience with a given welding process - I'd not consider doing it myself. I both MIG and TIG (and gas and stick weld) - and I'd not go near my firearms with a welder. :-)

If you are highly skilled both processes - my best bet is that you would want to TIG this. TIG shines where precision is needed and where rarer metals are in play. MIG shines when speed / volume is higher up the priority list.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

BigNate wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm I mean no offense - but if it were me - and I did not have a LOT of experience with a given welding process - I'd not consider doing it myself. I both MIG and TIG (and gas and stick weld) - and I'd not go near my firearms with a welder. :-)
No offense taken, but if you ask me if I would try to weld a SLIDE together because its cracked, No way Josey ! This is where you need to use a PROFESSIONAL that does it for a living. But remember even they cannot guarantee a permanent welding solution. I have had failures there. The parts worked for a short period of time, but all had eventually all broke again (In the same spot).

Nothing like Real Metal !