Gunsmith 101

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Trapper1873
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Gunsmith 101

Post by Trapper1873 »

Any advice on good starter books for getting in to gunsmithing and working on guns?

Harrier
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Gunsmith 101

Post by Harrier »

There's lot out there, many are old timers so look on Amazon used book sellers... Brownells 'Gunsmith Kinks I, II, III, IV" have lots of tips, there are many specialized books for 1911, AR's, S&W, military surplus renovations and pistol smithing in general, stocks, etc.

A lot of the knowledge deals with machinist skills such as mills, lathes, metal working and hardening. A couple machinist handbooks could be invaluable. Learn to blue... hot, cold and rust... and other finishes. Learn to work & finish wood... so much to learn about...
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Not really gunsmithing but nobody does general disassembly and reassembly like the JB woods series of books.
Plain English , Big Pictures.
Saved my bacon a time or two .
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

I always like the Jerry Kuhnhausen books. Very detailed and good to have even if you don't plan on modifying a firearm particularly.

Kinda like the old Haynes car shop manuals, but for guns.