Glock G20 Gen2,3,4 for USPSA limited

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Guided-miscle
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Glock G20 Gen2,3,4 for USPSA limited

Post by Guided-miscle »

Glock G20 Gen2,3,4 for USPSA limited which Gen is best to work with. Was going to start this project over 20 yrs ago. I have a Gen2 G20. My thought is to work with trigger, Springs, mag well, G kit skateboard tape if Gen 2 or 3. Not sure of other mods. Prefer to do this with the best Gen for this project. I'm not familiar with Gen 4 other than holding in the hand, it was a G19

QuietM4

Re: Glock G20 Gen2,3,4 for USPSA limited

Post by QuietM4 »

10mm is a bit overkill for USPSA, but it's your ammo $$.

Zev competition spring kit, rounded firing pin safety plunger, and a Ghost disconnector will greatly improve the trigger for under $40.

Generation doesn't matter...Gen 1-3 are the same parts, Gen 4 has some internal trigger differences. Your hand might like a Gen 4 over a Gen 3, or whatever.

http://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-FPS- ... el-Small_3
http://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Comp ... ring-Kit_2
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

You may prefer the SF frame version. SF stands for "short frame". These were G20 and G21 models that were ever so slightly reduced in dimension from trigger to backstrap. The difference in grip between the regular G20 and the G20SF is about 1/8th inch. That may not seem like a lot, but if you find the G20 or G21 to be a bit too chunky for your fingers, this might work better for you.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

AZ1182 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:03 pm So I just read the rules, interesting choice of a caliber then it dawned on me....you planning on running that 20 with just .40 instead of a 10 to be faster? If so I like how you think because shooting a 40 out of a 20 almost feels like a 38 out of a 357 GP100 5".
Back in the day, I used to shoot mid-range reloads in my G20 in IPSC matches. You are correct; that was some soft-shooting stuff that made major power factor with no problem.
Guided-miscle

Post by Guided-miscle »

First thank you all for input, recommendations,considerations, I appreciate it very much. 20 or so yrs
ago I loaded 10mm to 178 PF using 200 gr RN, USPSA major was 175 at that time. I was 45 acp frequently out of a 1911, Para (200 gr SWC), G21 gen2 (225 TC) and a S&W 625 230RN all around 178 PF. The semi autos were using reduce power springs including the G20. When shooting the G20 I was thinking this doesn't seem right, The G20 shot softer. I've wanting to get back to that project for quite some time. Allot of new stuff has came out since. If is better, smarter to do this project on a Gen 3 or newer I'm not wanting to waste time and money my Gen 2. If Gen 2 is good or has some benifit I,m happy to go with that and ready! I had heard of a SF frame but didn't think of it and never had my hands on one. I've held a G40 that is Gen4 it felt good, My Gen 2 doesn't feel bad. Seems like I had heard (several years ago) the Gen 4 doesn't modify well or something to that nature. Again thank you all for the input.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I'm partial to the Gen2 and hate that they ever modified it. I dislike the finger grooves and thumb relief. If they ever made the SF version in the Gen2, I might have gone for that, but since its only available in the Gen3,...I haven't bothered.

I never replaced the original recoil spring in mine. It handled the mid-range loadings just fine as well as the hot stuff. The elasticity and plasticity of the frame allows for the hot ammo to pound the frame with that (some might say underpowered) recoil spring and not crack or self-destruct like metal would.

While I could just buy a .40S&W conversion barrel for the G20, I don't see the point. Other than to be able to use that caliber in lean times, there's no utility for me. I always used 150 or 155 grn. plated projectiles. I used 10.2 grains of Blue Dot for years, but the bright white flash at night matches was distracting, so I switched to AA#7, with 12.0 grains. Both of these loads cycled the action without flinging brass very far at all, usually just barely over my shoulder.