Keltec RDB Trigger Work

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Keltec RDB Trigger Work

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I just got a Keltec RDB a couple of weeks ago. So far, I really like it! The trigger is great, but I wanted to reduce some of the take-up and overtravel.

I installed a take-up screw above the trigger guard that cut out somewhere between a third and a half of the first trigger stage. Tightening the screw beyond that continues to shorten the first stage, however, it disables the safety. I wish I could cut a little more travel out of the take-up, but I'm still happy with the results.

The overtravel screw stops the trigger immediately after releasing the hammer, and I can't detect any movement beyond that. The position of the overtravel screw is unorthodox and I really don't like the visuals of it's mounting, but I don't know how else to implement an overtravel stop screw from behind the trigger on this particular rifle. It looks like it might be flimsy, but it's holding solid. Time will tell how this application holds up, but I can see having to implement a nut on the top side of the trigger guard to hold the screw firmly in place into the future.

Although there is no adjustability on the fly, I think the trigger is dialed in nicely. Both screws are 6-32 threaded directly in the polymer, and I'm using Loctite to hold them in place. The overtravel screw is also countersunk into the trigger guard, so the head doesn't interfere with my middle finger. I hope this helps someone out there.

Has anyone else tried messing with their RDB trigger?
Attachments
Trigger profile with screws installed
Trigger profile with screws installed

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Keltec RDB Trigger Work

Post by QuietM4 »

Hope your rifle never needs any warranty work.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

QuietM4 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 5:56 pm Hope your rifle never needs any warranty work.
That is my hope. Are you speaking from experience? The only experience I've had with sending a firearm back to the manufacturer was with Ruger, and they quickly diagnosed the problem and sent me a new one.

I've never owned a Keltec before, but I've heard everything from high praise to horror stories. That makes me think sketchy QC.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

What you did to your firearm just voided your warranty. I hope it works out for you.

FWIW, I've owned several Kel-Tec's with zero problems.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

QuietM4 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm What you did to your firearm just voided your warranty.
Yeah, I figured it might void that lifetime warranty. I definitely gave them an out if they want to deny me service, but hopefully, it will never come to that. Glad to hear you've had no problems with your Keltecs.