First build

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Ajcrisos
New to ArizonaShooting.org

First build

Post by Ajcrisos »

Hi all,

I’m attempting my first AR pistol build and it all seems so overwhelming. I have purchased a few things here and there but nothing to actually complete my build and it seems as if I’m all over the place looking for this part of that part.

My question is: where would be a good place to start as in purchasing pieces, for example should I start with a lower, upper, etc. Currently only have a few parts listed below. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m new to builds and have very few tools/experience.

DD 10.3” barrel (needs gas block taper pin)
Geissle SD-C trigger
Random pins given by a friend (will most likely buy a whole kit just to be safe)
Geissle bolt catch release
Vortex UH-1

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: First build

Post by QuietM4 »

Did you play with Lego as a child? Then you can put together and AR-15.

I see you are missing a few parts...like 85% of them.

YouTube is your friend.

Ajcrisos

Post by Ajcrisos »

QuietM4 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 1:31 pm Did you play with Lego as a child? Then you can put together and AR-15.

I see you are missing a few parts...like 85% of them.

YouTube is your friend.

Not to have a pity party but never had legos, parents lower middle class immigrants.

Are there any specific companys or brands you suggest/dislike? I know everyone has their own opinion but I’d rather avoid buyer’s remorse if at all possible.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

There isn't anything in particular to avoid, except polymer uppers/lowers (those should always be aluminum).

I like Aero Precision personally...but Palmetto State, BCM, Anderson Mfg make good stuff also. Don't buy into the Colt Cult...unless you like spending too much money.

If you want to totally build from parts (instead of buying a pre-assembled upper and lower) you will benefit greatly from a decent bench vice mounted to a solid surface (there are ways around this if you don't have a work bench or space to mount a vice). You will absolutely need an armorers wrench; I really like the Magpul armorers wrench. All the other tools are nice, but not needed.

No Lego as a kid? If you are moderately handy with basic tools, you will be OK. Watch a bunch of youtube videos, google search 'ar-15 assembly' and you will get the basic idea.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

A forum member here "Rishuz" sells complete kits VERY reasonably .
He can for sure get ya going. :dance:
His name is Frank at phone # 928-399-1209
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I built a lower on a kitchen table (lower) and assembled the 20" upper on a deep freezer.

I've built 2 from scratch now.

An upper action block is a godsend.

Screwdriver, Allen wenches, mallet, ar multi tool, bubble level, torque gauge (useful but not absolutely essential), good lighting and patience.

Most any complete parts kits from a reputable source will be fine
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

What part of PHX are you in?
Ajcrisos

Post by Ajcrisos »

Close to AZ mills
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

Take your time and enjoy your first build. Everything everyone’s put above is exactly what I would suggest. I started with my first one watching the YouTube videos as I assembled and I have assembled multiple rifles since then. Each time I build, I purchased more tools to make the job easier. Have fun with it!

When it comes to choosing parts, less is more. My first ones had all the extras on them. My latest rifle is as light as possible with only the needed items on it!
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

IN MY OPINION....

If you don't have a lower, you just have parts. Find a lower. A cheap one...Anderson..PSA..etc.

You need way more than you have to build something. You should buy a "complete upper build" type kit. It gets you familiar with how the platform works, and gets you shooting faster. PSA has a ton a reasonable prices. Use what you currently have to build the next one...you will build another one...promise.

Build one, learn it, then get picky about parts..

I'm just down Baseline for any help needed...tools and such,
outdoorplay

Post by outdoorplay »

A few obscure sites that have good parts for reasonable prices are
JSEsurplus
surplusammo.com (I got an ar barrel from this site a few years ago on clearance that shoots as well as my rifle cut barrel. I called and asked who did the rifling and they would not disclose.) Now there prices are a bit higher but they are still great quality for the buck. Unlike other well known sites...
Ajcrisos

Post by Ajcrisos »

Thanks for all the advice, as of right now I’m not confident in my skills or the resources/tools I have to complete an entire build solo. I think I’m going to start small and buy a pre-assembled upper and work with a friend to assemble a lower he has with random parts.

Any recommendations for a pre-built upper?