Valmet M76 (.223)

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
nimrag
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Valmet M76 (.223)

Post by nimrag »

I got my hands on one. It’s in excellent condition and doesn’t look like it’s been fired much. One problem, it didn’t come with any magazines(probably why it wasn’t fired much). I knew going in that magazines are scarce, to say the least. I’ve read about converting them. My question is, does anyone have first hand experience with converting magazines for this rifle.

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Valmet M76 (.223)

Post by Tim McBride »

Good luck!
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I am somewhat of a Valmet Collector, have quite a few of them. The Feed angle and bullet guide of the Valmet makes using anything other than the original mag difficult. Tony Rumore of Tromix did some Bulgarian waffle mags for the .223 Valmet's years ago and they seem to work. Galil mags can be made to fit but do not work and will cause the bullet to hit the feed ramp and push the bullet into the case. I think i have some of the Tromix mags in my collection that i could possibly let you use as a template to modify some yourself. But i am very unorganized right now so i would have to look to find them and i don't know when that will happen. I do have original mags as well, but none are for sale. I could possibly let you borrow one of those as well to see if it can help you modify a Bulgy Waffle. Here is a link to an old post about this. There is a lot of info online. Some of it not that useful. I will PM you my contact info if you want to get a hold of me. There are always mags on Gunbroker and the cost is high but you need to have at least a few original mags. Just set up a search and watch them. Hopefully you can find a bargain. I have actually found them on the tables at gunshows mixed in with other AK mags. So you just have to look there out there.
https://www.theakforum.net/forums/16-ga ... almet.html
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Here is another possible option to look at. I just saw this today. Might be worth a 75.00 gamble if hes still doing it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AK-47/Valme ... 29/?page=2
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »