Remington 700 receiver block, trouble indexing ASR brake

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
GunSmoke
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Remington 700 receiver block, trouble indexing ASR brake

Post by GunSmoke »

Hey guys. I'm admittedly new to bolt action rifles, but not rifles in general. I'm having a heck of a Time indexing an ASR brake on a Bugera HMR rifle. The Bergara is a Remington 700 pattern receiver.

I've gone through my shims stack and have it close, but can't seem to hold the barrel well enough to get to the 30 ft lb of torque needed to finish indexing. Does anyone in the North End of the valley have a receiver block at they might let me clamp onto for a moment to tighten this thing?

If I'm doing something else wrong, please don't hesitate to point it out.

Delfuego

Re: Remington 700 receiver block, trouble indexing ASR brake

Post by Delfuego »

If your running a can on that brake, you should use "peel washers". Regular washers or "crush" are not recommended with suppressors. It will solve your timing issue too!

https://www.capitolarmory.com/thunder-b ... asher.html

https://thunderbeastarms.com/videos?id=cDC6MB-VcD0
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I may be using the wrong term. I'm using the washers that were included with the ASR brake. These were in my Saker box. I'm running one of these on a Tavor as well, but did not have this timing issue. Part of it is the longer barrel and the perceived inability to torque on the end of it without concern about messing up the bedding of the stock without using an action block.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

Gotcha. Looks like they ship those with "peel washers'.

If it came in the KRG Bravo, those stocks don't have bedding. They have an aluminum inlet and are plenty strong. If it's a B14 Ridge Rifle or other models, you can pull the barreled action out and clamp it in a barrel vice and go after it.

I do have a barrel-vice that would work. However, you may want a gunsmith to do this because they will be able to measure the muzzle threads and run-out. This is where almost all bad things with suppressors happen (baffle strikes). You shouldn't trust they are correct from the factory. Since your putting an expensive can on it, might be worth it for piece of mind.

Hit me up if you decide to do it yourself.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Thank you for the offer. I was able to get the brake aligned.