measuring spring compression weight

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

measuring spring compression weight

Post by smithers599 »

Let's say the recommended tension for the recoil spring in my pistol is 16 pounds. Is there a way to measure the tension of the spring that is in there? Surely, when Wolff says a spring is 14 or 16 or 18 pounds, they know that because they have a measuring device. Is there such a device available to us peons, at a reasonable price? (Compare, for example, trigger gauges.)

Instead of replacing springs every X rounds or every Y months, I would like to replace springs when the measuring device shows they actually need to be replaced. It would also be helpful to be able to rule out spring tension in diagnosing feeding/extraction problems. If a gun is failing to feed or extract, it could be spring tension, the extractor, the ejector, a rough chamber or feed ramp, magazines, etc. One test is to try replacing springs, but you could save yourself that time (and expense) if you could simply measure springs, without replacing.

Is there such a gadget (or clever technique)?

knockonit

Re: measuring spring compression weight

Post by knockonit »

smithers599

Re: measuring spring compression weight

Post by smithers599 »

Thank you! Just what I was looking for!
I will order, then go through the big box of take-off springs I have, and label them.
Ain't the internet a swell thing? :D