Looking for an AR-10 gunsmith

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Looking for an AR-10 gunsmith

Post by smithers599 »

Bought one that somebody had built himself, because it was really cheap. By the time I spend the money to get it working, it will probably cost more than if I had just bought a good one to start. But anyway, here I am with a rifle that doesn't feed, doesn't extract, gets light primer hits, and generally acts like a Democrat.

Who can I take it to, to say "Here, see if you can make this turkey run"?

East side: Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler.

Thanks.

QuietM4

Re: Looking for an AR-10 gunsmith

Post by QuietM4 »

Wright Armory. Won’t be the cheapest, but they do great work. I’ve used them multiple times in the past for everything from Novak dovetail cuts, NFA engraving, Cerakote, full AK builds. They do excellent work.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Thanks. I'll try them. I have used them before, but always for specific projects, not to diagnose. I hope they will be able to figure out the problem(s).
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

I’ve been driving out to Black Metal Firearms. I’ve brought a couple of things down there and they looked it over, recommended some parts to fix it and boom done free. I’ve gone ahead and just bought my parts there and installed them at home. They will install parts purchased there for free. I had the do a 308 muzzle break just so didn’t have to clean off the bench at home. Guy was done before I could even put receipt away.
https://www.blackmetalfirearms.com/about/
SHootUp
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by SHootUp »

I'd recommend hitting up a local gunsmith in Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, or Chandler. Local gun shops are great for recommendations. Also, try asking in online gun forums for suggestions.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

SHootUp wrote: November 11th, 2023, 5:44 am ...Also, try asking in online gun forums for suggestions.
You do realize you're posting in an "online gun forum", which is where he asked... right?

Based on the string of replies that don't say anything, I'm assuming this is a bot.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

@smithers599 - not sure if you've resolved this or not... If not - there is a pretty good bit of knowledge on the topic at the 308AR board (https://forum.308ar.com/) and some of the very active guys live in AZ. I've learned a bunch there. Some of the "experts" can be a bit salty if you ask a question before reading the common stuff or ask a question for which there is a standard answer and then fight with them about the answer before trying their suggestion.

My sense is that a healthy majority of AR10 / AR308 issues fall into one of a few categories
1) Parts compatibility issues (no "milspec" for all manufacturers to follow) - if your issues stem from this - you either need to be a machinist - or replace parts.
2) Under / over gassed conditions associated with mismatched and non-adjustable parts
3) Buffer spring / buffer weight mismatch issues often associated with using stock AR-15 carbine buffer stuff behind a much heavier bolt and a mismatched gas system.

I just finished my FIRST AR10 build - so I'm no expert - but with a bit of guidance from the guys on that other board - it just took some minor adjustments to get it cycling nicely last weekend.

Your "doesn't feed / doesn't extract" sounds like it COULD just be undergassed or over springed / over buffered?

The light primer strikes are a different thing. Is the back end of the barrel extension flush with the back edge of the spot in the upper receiver where it sits - or does it sit proud into the area (talking about the interface seen in the red mark in this pic stolen from the interwebs)?.. Any chance you have a headspace gauge for .308?
upper barrel.jpg
Again - I'm no gunsmith - but if folks want a ton of money to look at it - I'd be happy to try to troubleshoot with you. It could be a moneypit nightmare... it could also be something that a gas block adjustment or spring / buffer swap resolves...
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Thank you very much, BigNate.
I was referred to Marty Enloe: https://www.enloecustomguns.com/
I have an appointment to take the gun to him tomorrow, with mags and ammo. So, we shall see what we see!
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Good stuff... hopes he gets it sorted out for you!
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

I had fits with my DPMS decades ago. Magazine issues where the the round was not presented at the right angle, fixed with a Brownell magaizine lip bender. A burr in the gas port prevented cycling, and other stuff. Magpul mags are flawless.

Got it all squared away now and learned a lot. Experimenting with several trigger styles. Currently a LaRue 2-stage. After cratered primers and a blowout, have a JP high pressure bolt to try.

Rifle is very accurate with a Fulton/Criterion 18.5" barrel. MOA or better.