Rocksett Question

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Rocksett Question

Post by Doc »

Took a break off to do some fiddle phucking and it took a LOT of heat and when it was off there was “white stuff” almost like plumbers putty.

I want to put it back on and I want to do it the correct way.

After some reading it seems Rocksett is the way to go.

So the question is:
Where can a guy find rocksett locally?

Secondly, does it store well or is it a one a done kind of material?

QuietM4

Re: Rocksett Question

Post by QuietM4 »

Unless you are mounting a suppressor adapter that you have no intention of taking off for the rest of time, I'd avoid using Rocksett again. You were lucky to get it off; Rocksett is designed to be hot water soluble, not heat. I have encountered properly Rocksett'd muzzle devices that had to be machined off the barrel in order to remove it.

Red Loctite offers a more than sufficient holding strength for any muzzle device.

You won't find it locally...it's an odd thing to carry because the smallest amount I've ever seen available for purchase is 2oz, and that will last you a lifetime. It can be stored for 10+ years, inside a stable environment, e.g. not in your garage.
freefly

Post by freefly »

QuietM4 wrote: January 5th, 2023, 10:01 pm Unless you are mounting a suppressor adapter that you have no intention of taking off for the rest of time, I'd avoid using Rocksett again. You were lucky to get it off; Rocksett is designed to be hot water soluble, not heat. I have encountered properly Rocksett'd muzzle devices that had to be machined off the barrel in order to remove it.

Red Loctite offers a more than sufficient holding strength for any muzzle device.

You won't find it locally...it's an odd thing to carry because the smallest amount I've ever seen available for purchase is 2oz, and that will last you a lifetime. It can be stored for 10+ years, inside a stable environment, e.g. not in your garage.
^^^ What he said.

Muzzle devices installed with Rocksett can be a major PITA to remove, especially if slathered on and heat-cured. Go with LocTite 263 (red) instead and you'll be fine. You don't need a lot. Cleaning everything properly/thoroughly before application is recommended.
Doc

Post by Doc »

QuietM4 wrote: January 5th, 2023, 10:01 pm Unless you are mounting a suppressor adapter that you have no intention of taking off for the rest of time, I'd avoid using Rocksett again. You were lucky to get it off; Rocksett is designed to be hot water soluble, not heat. I have encountered properly Rocksett'd muzzle devices that had to be machined off the barrel in order to remove it.

Yes, this is a suppressor adapter. I removed it to go direct thread but I’ve been able to find the correct adapter and I’d like to make the brake as permanent as possible.

I don’t want the muzzle device leaving the barrel and getting stuck on the can.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Just stick with red loctite...it will be much easier (just heat) to remove in the future. Properly installed rocksett is basically permanent. If you were mouting a suppressor muzzle adapter to a full-auto belt fed, then maybe I'd go with rocksett...but for a semi-auto you won't be able to get the mount hot enough to worry about it spinning off the barrel.

Properly degreased barrel threads and red loctite are more than sufficient for your needs.
muta4warrior

Post by muta4warrior »

QuietM4 wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:50 am Just stick with red loctite...it will be much easier (just heat) to remove in the future. Properly installed rocksett is basically permanent. If you were mouting a suppressor muzzle adapter to a full-auto belt fed, then maybe I'd go with rocksett...but for a semi-auto you won't be able to get the mount hot enough to worry about it spinning off the barrel.

Properly degreased barrel threads and red loctite are more than sufficient for your needs.
Red loctite is all I ever use for suppressor mounts and have never had one come loose.
Doc

Post by Doc »

QuietM4 wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:50 am Just stick with red loctite...it will be much easier (just heat) to remove in the future. Properly installed rocksett is basically permanent. If you were mouting a suppressor muzzle adapter to a full-auto belt fed, then maybe I'd go with rocksett...but for a semi-auto you won't be able to get the mount hot enough to worry about it spinning off the barrel.

Appreciate the advice.

I’m setting it w red lock tite.

Thanks!