AR-15 Component Manufacturer Suggestions?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR-15 Component Manufacturer Suggestions?

Post by BigNate »

Looking for recommendations on high value (solid quality at a reasonable price) AR-15 builder parts. I have a grasp on premium upgrade parts (Giessele triggers, Proof barrels, etc.) - but I'm less clear on who makes "good enough" (well made, but not known as a premium brand / not super expensive) stuff. I'm starting my full build. This will be a pistol - so no need for sub-moa grade components - but I do want it to be reliable.

Stuff where I think I have an idea of what I want to use - but would still value recommendations.
  • Bare Upper / Lower - Aero Precision - but who else should I consider?
  • Trigger - I use Giessele in target guns and I have a couple of LaRue MBT-2S triggers that I bought on a sale - is there anything less expensive than the LaRue is that is of comparable quality? I'll probably use the LaRue in this first build - but interested in what to look for going forward.
  • Stocks / Grips / etc. - Magpul
Stuff where I really don't have a handle on what brands provide a "quality high value product" (but not the super premium brand or junk / super cheap).
  • Handguard
  • Barrel
  • Buffer weights and springs
  • BCG
  • Adjustable gas block and tube
  • Muzzle Device
Thanks in advance...

Kromnate
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: AR-15 Component Manufacturer Suggestions?

Post by Kromnate »

I’ll give my best advice from my knowledge and experience.
- For barrel, Rosco, Faxon, and Ballistic Advantage seem to be the best value while not being junk.
- For handguards, I would recommend Aero or Midwest Industries. I have used several Midwest and they were excellent. Vltor seems pretty decent price and I am looking at getting one.
Fail Zero bolt carrier groups are pretty good (have 2) and the price is pretty good for the nitride one.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

For just about everything, either CMMG or PSA make "good enough" parts. However, some parts are more critical than others and are worth the extra attention and expense. The bolt and bolt carrier are top of the list, and the barrel itself, of course.

For direct impingement types, I have always used either Smith Enterprises or Young Manufacturing. The bonus is that both are local companies.

Barrels get difficult quickly, however. If you're not picky about features and a "standard" GI-spec barrel will serve you, you have lots of sources. But I'm picky, and I want it all. And hardly anybody makes a barrel exactly to my desired specs. I'm apparently goofy because I want a 16in., carbine length, straight fluted, Wylde chamber, nitrided barrel. Those exist and can be found, but I'm a nutball and want 1-9 twist rate, not the 1-7 that everyone else accepts. Finding that barrel is like prospecting for gold.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

Aero uppers and lower are fine PSA are ok too.
Barrels I prefer Odin, Rosco, Faxon and Ballistic Advantage
Rave makes a good affordable trigger sometime on sale as low as $89.00
Check out https://ar15discounts.com for some great prices on build parts.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Thanks all... I kinda orphaned this thread - getting back to it now...
Kromnate wrote: December 26th, 2022, 1:38 pm I’ll give my best advice from my knowledge and experience.
- For barrel, Rosco, Faxon, and Ballistic Advantage seem to be the best value while not being junk.
- For handguards, I would recommend Aero or Midwest Industries. I have used several Midwest and they were excellent. Vltor seems pretty decent price and I am looking at getting one.
Fail Zero bolt carrier groups are pretty good (have 2) and the price is pretty good for the nitride one.
Thanks much for this. I'll look at Midwest and Fail Zero (both new to me).

Suck My Glock wrote: December 26th, 2022, 8:35 pm For just about everything, either CMMG or PSA make "good enough" parts. However, some parts are more critical than others and are worth the extra attention and expense. The bolt and bolt carrier are top of the list, and the barrel itself, of course.

For direct impingement types, I have always used either Smith Enterprises or Young Manufacturing. The bonus is that both are local companies.

Barrels get difficult quickly, however. If you're not picky about features and a "standard" GI-spec barrel will serve you, you have lots of sources. But I'm picky, and I want it all. And hardly anybody makes a barrel exactly to my desired specs. I'm apparently goofy because I want a 16in., carbine length, straight fluted, Wylde chamber, nitrided barrel. Those exist and can be found, but I'm a nutball and want 1-9 twist rate, not the 1-7 that everyone else accepts. Finding that barrel is like prospecting for gold.
Appreciate it. I suspect I'm in a similar boat on some of this. I'll take "good enough" on stuff like hand guards etc. but I expect that I'll spend more on barrel, BCG.
Cmoor wrote: December 26th, 2022, 11:29 pm Aero uppers and lower are fine PSA are ok too.
Barrels I prefer Odin, Rosco, Faxon and Ballistic Advantage
Rave makes a good affordable trigger sometime on sale as low as $89.00
Check out https://ar15discounts.com for some great prices on build parts.
Thanks sir... appreciate it - and thanks particularly for the link to that site - I'll watch their stuff...
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

https://ar15discounts.com/products/dirt ... per-black/

Funny I just ordered for the first time a rifle upper from them and am anxiously awaiting it to one in. Complete uppers and kits are reasonable. I usually go with PSA because they are reputable and I've never had an issue, but decided to branch out and try this one.
Side not I have a complete aero pistol upper I would sell if interested.