AZ heat, mirage, what works?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AZ heat, mirage, what works?

Post by Doc »

So I was out today in this marvelous heat and as I shot it got difficult to manage the mirage. I have wrapped my can using high temp neoprene but now I’m thinking some exhaust wrap might be helpful.

Curious if you have already tried.

Also curious if this caused problems with too much heat in the can. Unsure what to expect.

YNOTAZ

Re: AZ heat, mirage, what works?

Post by YNOTAZ »

That will depend on the can. Some are rated down to 8” in 7.62, some are Machinegun rated. Those cans are usually heavy because they have thick stainless steel baffles, and stainless or titanium sleeves.

The problem is many modern cans go for light weight because they know casual shooters will be using them. Check with the manufacturer on the can you own.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Agreed, depending on the materials of construction, the more your try and insulate to hold the heat in the can you may see increased erosion. Curious as to what sighting system/optic you were using.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

I use a cover on mine it has a couple layers of nomex inside and Nylon for the outer shell. I also use it on full auto with no problems.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Some of these silencer covers are ridiculously priced. I saw one by Liberty for $300!

What's the cheapest route that will keep mirage away? I don't get my cans red hot so I'm not worried about protection against burns...that's what oven mitts are for.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

Bowers used to sell cheap covers that were just ribbed silicone tubing of different diameters. You might check around for something like that. They worked, but tended to move around on the can when they got warm.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Walmart, Target, etc. sell silicone baking mats that do not cost very much. I cut one to the right size to fit around a suppressor, and used tape to hold it in place. As blasternaz wrote above, recoil causes the silicone "tube" to work its way off the front of the suppressor. So I started again. I cut two long strips off the silicone mat, and wrapped them around the back of the suppressor, and around the sides of the silicone tube, before wrapping with the tape. Those strips keep the tube from moving forward.

For example: