IN-LB Torque Wrench / Screw Driver

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

IN-LB Torque Wrench / Screw Driver

Post by BigNate »

I have automotive grade torque wrenches but my 1/4" drive wrench bottoms out at 20 in-lb. I'm looking for a wrench or screw driver for accurately torqueing things like optics plates or scope rings or...

With automotive tools I tend to think this way:
* Not a Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh" level tool - I don't want hot garbage that will die the first time I lean on it or give a reading that is +/- 30% ...
* Not a Snap On level tool - I can't justify spending $600 on a torque wrench - I don't make my living with it and I don't need someone to bring me a new one within hours of an issue.
* So I end up with something like the premium tier Craftsman or Husky tool.

I want a solid, reasonably accurate tool, but I don't need every bell and whistle and I don't want to pay for "name" unless doing so really buys me a ton more utility and quality (unless of course the "Snap On" tier tool is 20% more than the Craftsman as opposed to 400% more). Does that make sense?

With that in mind, any advice on brands / models of gunsmithing torque wrench / screw driver that folks here have used and were happy with?

Thanks in advance...

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: IN-LB Torque Wrench / Screw Driver

Post by XJThrottle »

PSA has a few different ones.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog ... ch+wheeler

I wouldn't immediately dismiss HF stuff. The Icon, Quinn, Dyole lines are good. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between Icon and Snap-on wrenches and sockets. They don't have anything that goes that low though..
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

check out the CDI torque wrenches. These guys make the snapon torque line but this is their industrial version without the inflated snapon price. Made in the USA too.

They have a few versions depending on the range your torqueing
https://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?m ... &ver=html5

Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

Wheeler Tools F. A. T. Wrench
What

Post by What »

Bottom put at 20 inch as in you need something lower or higher?

Higher than 20inch. I used Husky one from home depot. $80 I think. 1/4" ratchet.

My friend has Husky handheld screwdriver torque wrench would might be lower enough for you. He still has it which mean hes happy to continue using it.
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

2nd on the Wheeler FAT wrench, around $40 or so, found one on sale under $30 a while back, made for the shooting sports.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

XJThrottle wrote: April 19th, 2022, 1:37 pm PSA has a few different ones.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog ... ch+wheeler

I wouldn't immediately dismiss HF stuff. The Icon, Quinn, Dyole lines are good. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between Icon and Snap-on wrenches and sockets. They don't have anything that goes that low though..

Agreed - Icon is decent - I was dissing specifically the Pittsburg tool line which uses metal so soft I think I could probably flatten sockets by standing on them...
rockbronco wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:02 pm check out the CDI torque wrenches. These guys make the snapon torque line but this is their industrial version without the inflated snapon price. Made in the USA too.

They have a few versions depending on the range your torqueing
https://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?m ... &ver=html5

Excellent - thanks!

Drmark wrote: April 19th, 2022, 2:40 pm Wheeler Tools F. A. T. Wrench
tunnug wrote: April 19th, 2022, 4:05 pm 2nd on the Wheeler FAT wrench, around $40 or so, found one on sale under $30 a while back, made for the shooting sports.
Thanks Gents...
What wrote: April 19th, 2022, 3:15 pm Bottom put at 20 inch as in you need something lower or higher?

Higher than 20inch. I used Husky one from home depot. $80 I think. 1/4" ratchet.

My friend has Husky handheld screwdriver torque wrench would might be lower enough for you. He still has it which mean hes happy to continue using it.
I have "decent" 1/4" , 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches. I need something that will let me torque to spec BELOW the 20 in-lb minimum on my 1/4" unit. The optics plate that should be in the mail soon says 12 in-lb and the mount / rings for a recent optic purchase want 16 in-lbs (I think - or it might be 18 - but it is less than 20 for sure).
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Amazon is just silly... at 4:40 PM I placed an order with Amazon for the Wheeler Tools F. A. T. Wrench. It will be delivered between 5:00PM and 10:00PM today.
Amazon.JPG
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

And… at 7:47 pm it is on the porch…
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

I think you will like the Wheeler Fat Wrench. I use the Wheeler Fat wrench and Husky. Like them both.