Custom Built Bolt-Action Rifles

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Custom Built Bolt-Action Rifles

Post by BigNate »

I've built ARs, I've modded hand-guns and rifles - but I've never "built" a bolt-action rifle. I know that there are portions of that sort of project that really need to be done by a knowledgeable gun-smith with the relevant machining tools - but I'd like to head down that path and have started looking for info on the web. Well - I'm finding things like this: https://www.ballisticmag.com/diy-bolt-a ... fle-build/ which describe parts selection and turnover to a gunsmith (with a parts list nearing $10K) - but I'm not finding much in the way of information about true DIY stuff.

If anyone here has links / info worth sharing I'd appreciate it greatly.

BigNate

Re: Custom Built Bolt-Action Rifles

Post by BigNate »

OK - I found this link which is closer to what I was looking for - would still appreciate other insights...
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/le ... ?lid=10506
G34

Post by G34 »

sending parts to a gunsmith nowadays isnt necessary. The quality control and tight tolerances these companies hold make it easy to thread on a barrel and just set the headspace with gauges. prefit barrels arent new but the options for manufacturers is endless now. Bugholes/impact/daniel defense/Big Horn/ defiance etc do prefits or accept prefits for certain applications. I use big horn and criterion alot. American rifle company also.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I think the short chamber went out of style years ago. There are much better options now that give you the same, if not better, end result without so much of a headache.

For years Kelbly has built actions that held tolerances tight enough that a barrel could be ordered off the shelf, cut at Kelbly, and then threaded on by the end user. There may have been others that did it before Kelbly but they were the first I had experience with. Now there many options out there, both actions and barrels, that do the same.

Start with a Bighorn Origin (or similar), buy a shouldered prefit from Keystone, PBB, Proof, etc, and thread it on. You should still check headspace but in the rare chance it’s off, the barrel mfr will take care of it.

You could also go with a Savage-style barrel nut option from Shilen or Criterion on really any Remington or Savage thread action, but the barrel nuts kinda scream garage build. If you don’t mind the look and have an extra R700 or Savage action laying around, it could be a cheap way to get into something that shoots pretty well.

Either way, you’ll need a barrel vice and action wrench to do it properly but those aren’t incredibly expensive. If you get an action with a pinned recoil lug then I would go with a rear-entry action wrench. The one in the Brownell’s article will work but there isn’t a great way to get a torque reading on it. The rear entry you can use a torque wrench with to get to the right spec.

Assuming you buy a fully inlet stock or chassis, everything else is pretty much bolt-on unless you decide to bed the stock. That takes a little to get the hang of but nothing that can’t be done in the garage.
C172 Heavy

Post by C172 Heavy »

Here's what I did for my last build and will do again:

Bought used Remington 700 then striped it down with my barrel vise. Sold everything but the action firing pin assembly, and trigger, in the end it cost me $50 for a 1969 Remington 700 action.

Bought a Lilja barrel, Badger Ordnance recoil lug, and a Pacific Tool & Gauge bolt.

Shipped it off to my builder in NV with a $700 check. I got back a trued and blueprinted barreled action throated for 175gr projos, threaded 5/8-24, 8-40 scope base threads, and finished in coyote tan.

To this point in the build I was out $1300, give or take a $100. The whole Remage thing was just starting out when I did this back in 2012.
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

Like said above there is almost no need for a smith anymore unless you are picky and just want something exactly the way you want it. You can find custom actions for under a grand that have prefit barrels available from multiple makers that simply screw on and your ready to go. Heck you can even get prefit barrels for Tikka actions that will shave a little coin if you need to and shoot like a dream. Here is the last Tikka I built and it never touched a lathe.
Tikka PRC.jpg
Doc

Post by Doc »

Putting together pre fit parts is no more a custom build than a 3 shot group.

Facts.

Will a lego gun shoot, yes it will, but it’s not a custom.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Doc wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:27 am Putting together pre fit parts is no more a custom build than a 3 shot group.

Facts.

Absolutely this. Much the same as how if you buy a bunch of parts for an AR and put them together, you didn’t “build” anything, you merely assembled a mish-mash of parts. “GoNsMiF.” 🤣🤣

As for true custom builds, they’re super nice. But IMO just buy an AI and be done with it. It’s a full system built from the ground up to WORK AS A SYSTEM, not a bunch of random parts massaged until they all play nice together, LOL. But that’s just my take. If money was no factor I’d have a ton of customs, don’t get me wrong. But if you want “the best” in just one rifle, my personal opinion is you can’t beat an AI. And a good used AI (of various models) will run you the same, or maybe less, than a full-blown custom.
G34

Post by G34 »

would you say a
ARC action
Hawk hill barrel prefit
MPA chassis
be a custom or lego?
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

G34 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:41 am would you say a
ARC action
Hawk hill barrel prefit
MPA chassis
be a custom or lego?
Who spun the barrel in the action? If Hawk Hill cut the barrel and spun it in the action, then it’s custom. If Hawk Hill cut the barrel and you spun it in the action, then it’s lego… or at least that seems to be the logic of some here.

Question: If Hawk Hill originally spun the barrel in action but then it’s pulled and reinstalled, is it still custom or is it now lego?
Doc

Post by Doc »

G34 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:41 am would you say a
ARC action
Hawk hill barrel prefit
MPA chassis
be a custom or lego?
It should be a shooter. Isn’t that the real goal?

But no, that’s a parts build.

Customs time runout to 12’clock top dead center. You won’t get that anywhere but a custom.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Basher wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:39 am
Doc wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:27 am Putting together pre fit parts is no more a custom build than a 3 shot group.

Facts.

Absolutely this. Much the same as how if you buy a bunch of parts for an AR and put them together, you didn’t “build” anything, you merely assembled a mish-mash of parts. “GoNsMiF.” 🤣🤣

As for true custom builds, they’re super nice. But IMO just buy an AI and be done with it. It’s a full system built from the ground up to WORK AS A SYSTEM, not a bunch of random parts massaged until they all play nice together, LOL. But that’s just my take. If money was no factor I’d have a ton of customs, don’t get me wrong. But if you want “the best” in just one rifle, my personal opinion is you can’t beat an AI. And a good used AI (of various models) will run you the same, or maybe less, than a full-blown custom.
AI > Most Everything Else.
G34

Post by G34 »

isnt AI factory and not custom?
Basher

Post by Basher »

G34 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 8:50 am isnt AI factory and not custom?
It is, but that’s my point. Unless you’re dying to have a rifle that was slaved over by a top ‘smith, an AI will perform to the same level as a custom while usually besting it in reliability and robustness (IMO), while often costing less (depending on which AI model you buy) and without the wait that many top gunsmiths come with.

Again, there are some crazy nice customs made by the likes of GAP, TacOps, and others. Heck, Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles turns out a fantastic rifle in a much shorter period than the top-branded shops. I’d be delighted to own any of them. But since I’m not made of money, I’m buying an AI if I’m dropping more than ~$2500 on a rifle.

The AI chassis doesn’t agree with everyone, and the AI system is far, FAR more than 99% of people actually need. But yeah, if I’m dropping a few grand, I’ll buy once, cry once, and get a proven rifle system. I’ve never felt a better or smoother action or trigger than my AIs. I like my FN SPR A5M XP (such a ridiculous mouthful, haha) a lot for a factory rifle, but an AI it is not! I shall have one again someday soon!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Basher wrote: March 30th, 2022, 3:36 pm
G34 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 8:50 am isnt AI factory and not custom?
It is, but that’s my point. Unless you’re dying to have a rifle that was slaved over by a top ‘smith, an AI will perform to the same level as a custom while usually besting it in reliability and robustness (IMO), while often costing less (depending on which AI model you buy) and without the wait that many top gunsmiths come with.

Again, there are some crazy nice customs made by the likes of GAP, TacOps, and others. Heck, Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles turns out a fantastic rifle in a much shorter period than the top-branded shops. I’d be delighted to own any of them. But since I’m not made of money, I’m buying an AI if I’m dropping more than ~$2500 on a rifle.

The AI chassis doesn’t agree with everyone, and the AI system is far, FAR more than 99% of people actually need. But yeah, if I’m dropping a few grand, I’ll buy once, cry once, and get a proven rifle system. I’ve never felt a better or smoother action or trigger than my AIs. I like my FN SPR A5M XP (such a ridiculous mouthful, haha) a lot for a factory rifle, but an AI it is not! I shall have one again someday soon!
Keith builds some great stuff!

If I had to sell anything I’d sell my AI. On top of being a great shooting rifle they hold their value