Who the FrUCK invented torx nuts/bits?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Who the FrUCK invented torx nuts/bits?

Post by pneuby »

I am fed-up with these little shits. :evil: Today's victim, a set of custom grip panels with supplied stainless stell screws.
I break-out my allen keys, never to find one that fits JUST right.

THen, have to put on the readers, AND break out the magnifying lense on the Swiss Army Knife.

Oh yes, it's yet another of those evil little demon torx nuts. :x

Ok, RJ, and any of you tool-time inclined folks, what do these do for us any better than Allens? :doh:

paulgt2164

Re: Who the FrUCK invented torx nuts/bits?

Post by paulgt2164 »

Buy this :

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Mant ... /IF145-392

Be done.

The drivers are aluminum with bearing supported tops, and the bits are all high quality.

I bought it for computer work - and bought another for gun work.

By far the nicest for the money bit-driver set I have ever owned (professional mechanic for a couple decades....)
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Torx screws are supposed to allow more contact area with the tool in order to allow more torque. On a set of grip screws that small, 80 (lbf⋅ft) might be a bit excessive. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

YNOTAZ wrote: March 20th, 2022, 9:21 am Torx screws are supposed to allow more contact area with the tool in order to allow more torque. On a set of grip screws that small, 80 (lbf⋅ft) might be a bit excessive. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And less chance for cam-out or stripping... However, I have dealt with many Torx fasteners that were FUBARed.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yippers while i like'm seems if you mis place the wrench or tool that comes with them, well now, one would speak in tongues for a bit, scrare away any do gooders for sure, learned to put a tad of thread locker on all them little fudgeballs. blue works, i believe, a smidge only please, otherwise, hehehe, don't ask
Rj
Doc

Post by Doc »

I thought it was just me.
Doc

Post by Doc »

pneuby wrote: March 20th, 2022, 9:04 am
Ok, RJ, and any of you tool-time inclined folks, what do these do for us any better than Allens? :doh:
I’m a known tool snob. So far the best scope T-15 has been the Leupold https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008964157

If you are buying modern firearm and it’s standard and quality you use T-15. It found me in an estate sale. It’s NEVER slipped. It will strip Chinesesim threads before it lets go.

For your workbench look for TACTIX they are well built and easily identifiable. I bought these at CAL Ranch of all places. I needed something quick and they have been an absolute awesome. Set. For anything that needs real convincing this harbor freight set has been impressive. I’ll put a German tool next to it for clout. LOL.
27060CD5-DC7B-4D09-953E-AB9113975A4D.png
8AAEE427-7849-4DCC-89D5-B87F80F518B0.png
D663252F-F049-46CA-95BC-6610EF0D9881.png
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I replace all grip screw with slot-head screws. I rarely have a Torx set or Allen set when I am out and about, but I almost always have a Swiss army knife. Sometimes the rim of a cartridge works, too.
Fie on Torx and hex grip screws. Fie I say! You heard me; I am not afraid to say it. Fie!
Doc

Post by Doc »

smithers599 wrote: March 20th, 2022, 3:00 pm I replace all grip screw with slot-head screws. I rarely have a Torx set or Allen set when I am out and about, but I almost always have a Swiss army knife. Sometimes the rim of a cartridge works, too.
Fie on Torx and hex grip screws. Fie I say! You heard me; I am not afraid to say it. Fie!
I’ve met @smithers599 he carries his own weight and offers a pragmatic solution.

Men like him are how Ukraine is holding off. All opinions aside.

But until we are in a war zone I’m just using better tools. 😂🤣

Also don't overlook the advantages of better shop lights. I added a few led 40” tube lights. If my eyes get worse I’ll get a magnifying glass that articulates and I’ll mount it on the workbench.

I think I’ll tinker forever.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Something like this is definitely in my future.

40AEC466-0E16-445B-88C4-8C8273749FED.jpeg
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Doc wrote: March 20th, 2022, 5:10 pm Something like this is definitely in my future.

Damn, that's purdy, mine has paint splatter, welding burns, bashes, and still kinda works.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I have one of these:

I also have Torx, SAE hex, and metric hex tools, in the shop, and in my shooting bag.

But I still replace all grip screws with slotted ones.

Also, I would like to apologize for my strong language. I got carried away.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

YNOTAZ wrote: March 20th, 2022, 9:21 am Torx screws are supposed to allow more contact area with the tool in order to allow more torque. On a set of grip screws that small, 80 (lbf⋅ft) might be a bit excessive. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Goll Rammit, that actually does make sense. I was hoping there was an actual legitimate reason.
Most of my kits have the bits. Benchmade knives makes a handy-as-shite little pocket kit that would take up less space than a GLock mag in your range bag.

https://www.knivesplus.com/benchmadeknifebm-11382.html
Doc

Post by Doc »

YNOTAZ wrote: March 20th, 2022, 7:36 pm
Doc wrote: March 20th, 2022, 5:10 pm Something like this is definitely in my future.

Damn, that's purdy, mine has paint splatter, welding burns, bashes, and still kinda works.
So they are worthwhile.

Gonna order one up later tonight.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

pneuby wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:10 pm
Goll Rammit, that actually does make sense. I was hoping there was an actual legitimate reason.
Most of my kits have the bits. Benchmade knives makes a handy-as-shite little pocket kit that would take up less space than a GLock mag in your range bag.

https://www.knivesplus.com/benchmadeknifebm-11382.html
I have a bunch of little packs of hex tip ends around, cannot ever find them when needed. Maybe I need to look at the light and magnification recommendations in this thread.

Yesterday, had to reset the ring alarm and wouldn't you know the bottom screw on the door bell was a torx stripped out, 1/8" drill bit fixed that.