Does anyone know the correct size for a Delta Assembly C-Clip?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
PWilliam
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Does anyone know the correct size for a Delta Assembly C-Clip?

Post by PWilliam »

Just as the subject says. Looking for the correct size of the C-Clip on the Delta Assembly. Thanks.

PWilliam

Re: Does anyone know the correct size for a Delta Assembly C-Clip?

Post by PWilliam »

AZ1182 wrote: November 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm You trying to make your own or buy one from some hardware store?

https://www.jsesurplus.com/deltacupsnapring-only.aspx

^^ in stock right now and cheap enough to get.
I want to try the hardware store, Have a couple on order, but bored today and want to build. Thanks!
freefly

Post by freefly »

PWilliam wrote: November 6th, 2021, 2:44 pm I want to try the hardware store, Have a couple on order, but bored today and want to build. Thanks!
Don't think you will be finding anything suitable at a hardware store, and there are too many specific parameters to warrant a DIY (both in time and expense) IMO, even if you had a machine shop. Though, I suppose it could be a cool little experiment/project if you've got the means/materials and looking to cure your boredom!

You have to consider things like: OD, ID, radial & axial dims, metallurgy, finish, etc. You would have to make one that is thin enough axially to fit in the barrel nut channel, but thick enough radially to achieve proper tension and spring-retention, yet thin enough radially to fit under the delta ring. Then you'd have to make sure the ring-gap is wide enough for the gas tube, etc.

My advise would be to buy a bunch of actual delta snap-rings (or complete delta kits) to keep in your parts bin, as it appears you have already done. They are cheap and readily available. I'd personally stick with Colt, FN, LMT, DD, BCM, etc. if/when possible. YMMV.
PWilliam

Post by PWilliam »

freefly wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:10 pm
PWilliam wrote: November 6th, 2021, 2:44 pm I want to try the hardware store, Have a couple on order, but bored today and want to build. Thanks!
Don't think you will be finding anything suitable at a hardware store, and there are too many specific parameters to warrant a DIY (both in time and expense) IMO, even if you had a machine shop. Though, I suppose it could be a cool little experiment/project if you've got the means/materials and looking to cure your boredom!

You have to consider things like: OD, ID, radial & axial dims, metallurgy, finish, etc. You would have to make one that is thin enough axially to fit in the barrel nut channel, but thick enough radially to achieve proper tension and spring-retention, yet thin enough radially to fit under the delta ring. Then you'd have to make sure the ring-gap is wide enough for the gas tube, etc.

My advise would be to buy a bunch of actual delta snap-rings (or complete delta kits) to keep in your parts bin, as it appears you have already done. They are cheap and readily available. I'd personally stick with Colt, FN, LMT, DD, BCM, etc. if/when possible. YMMV.
Thanks for the good info! I ended up buying a few close looking ones at the hardware store and all but one were complete busts. They were too wide for the little groove in the barrel nut. The one that “fit” just didn’t seem right. So, Wednesday when the handful I ordered get here, I’ll start again. I think I got CMMG rings, as that was the only option available on the site for full assemblies. I am assuming that though.
Thanks again!