Finks Custom Gunsmithing, Paulden AZ

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
hairygreek
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Finks Custom Gunsmithing, Paulden AZ

Post by hairygreek »

Hey all, would like to recommend Finks Custom Gunsmithing of Paulden AZ.

I sent a FAL to get a crappy Cerakote job blasted off, polished, and refinished with bluing. As of two months ago, I called a number of local smiths and they declined the job due to work volume.

Job was quoted at 4 weeks, it took 8. He said it was because during reblue he kept finding problems. I wasn't in a rush or anything. As soon as work was finished, it shipped back quickly.

While looking at the finished job, I did notice a couple out of the way spots that missed the sand blast. That Cerakote was pretty thick and everywhere on near every part. So I would grade that a 96%. The polishing looks fine, I was expecting a tiny bit shinier (it was 400 grit), but he wasn't stupid creating divots or removing letters/numbers, and it looks consistent across the metal. The blast did show two spots of lazy machining that parkerizing hides, and these were not totally removed, probably to avoid divots. The machining does not detract overall however.

Fink as a person I can tell is God fearing and trustworthy, he extended trust to myself which is rare in business. So I would have no problem trusting him. His rates were cheaper compared to what other local smiths charge, and shipping in AZ was cheaper. Bluing ran $120 and blast/polish was $195 @ $65 per hour.

So I would recommend Finks to anyone else.

(Wood is from member "Flypaper" on falfiles.com)
Last edited by hairygreek on September 30th, 2021, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonofbp

Re: Finks Custom Gunsmithing, Young AZ

Post by sonofbp »

good looking rifle :handgestures-thumbup:
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

That thing looks purdy! For Young being such a small town, I'm kind of surprised that they have their own gunsmith in the community.
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

AZ_Five56 wrote: September 30th, 2021, 5:11 pm That thing looks purdy! For Young being such a small town, I'm kind of surprised that they have their own gunsmith in the community.
Gunsite range complex is right next door to them. So there may be traffic that way, beyond folks sending stuff.

This ended up looking really good. :dance:
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Young is one of those gems most people don't know about. I'd love to find a spot there to retire to. The valley is a productive agricultural area with a water table that is not deep at all. It's just far enough away from everywhere else to make it a PITA to drive to anywhere else, which deters most folks from looking at the area too closely to buy in. Therefore, the speculators haven't descended like vultures to buy up everything,...yet.
tripletap

Post by tripletap »

i love it- sold mine to Hobbs a long ass time ago- 450 bucks IIRC
hairygreek

Re: Finks Custom Gunsmithing, Paulden AZ

Post by hairygreek »

Whoops I had a brain dump. Hes in Paulden AZ not Young...
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

hairygreek wrote: September 30th, 2021, 8:14 pm Whoops I had a brain dump. Hes in Paulden AZ not Young...
That makes more sense. I was thinking, they have a Gunsite location in Young? :think:
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Suck My Glock wrote: September 30th, 2021, 7:00 pm Young is one of those gems most people don't know about. I'd love to find a spot there to retire to. The valley is a productive agricultural area with a water table that is not deep at all. It's just far enough away from everywhere else to make it a PITA to drive to anywhere else, which deters most folks from looking at the area too closely to buy in. Therefore, the speculators haven't descended like vultures to buy up everything,...yet.
I have been wanting to visit... I didn't like how built up Prescott, Show Low, and Pinetop were when I drove thru a few years ago.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Suck My Glock wrote: September 30th, 2021, 7:00 pm Young is one of those gems most people don't know about. I'd love to find a spot there to retire to. The valley is a productive agricultural area with a water table that is not deep at all. It's just far enough away from everywhere else to make it a PITA to drive to anywhere else, which deters most folks from looking at the area too closely to buy in. Therefore, the speculators haven't descended like vultures to buy up everything,...yet.
It's been on my radar as well. I love the area, and I don't care if it's out of the way. The drive is amazing. I used to camp a lot South of there in the Aztec Peak area when I was growing up.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Quit telling peeps about Young. I'm looking for a spot there. I don't want it to be the next Wickenburg (Wickentucky as I called after leaving..lol).
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

XJThrottle wrote: October 1st, 2021, 10:38 am Quit telling peeps about Young. I'm looking for a spot there. I don't want it to be the next Wickenburg (Wickentucky as I called after leaving..lol).
Sorry lol I started this.

I feel like Phoenix folks go north to the Mogollon area, its kind of far for Tucson folks. Not to mention those out of state. But then I'm worried Tucson folks will go south and discover the Elgin and Sonoita area...
Gunslinger55

Post by Gunslinger55 »

Thanks looking for a good smith for a custom rail mount