Stock Refinishing

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Bowhunter-tw
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Stock Refinishing

Post by Bowhunter-tw »

Project I just atarted. Refinishing an A bolt stock with a Linseed oil finish. Will post after photos once finished! Who else prefers linseed oil hand finish over the old resin/poly coating some of the older wood stocks had?

Pictures are what I started with. Already stripped old finish off and steamed dents out. First coat of oil has been applied, need to take pictures
Attachments
F9FB4FFF-D0D0-479D-B1FE-3AABECF8DFC2.jpeg
50179521-BDFD-4DC3-8950-E6596E17F0B8.jpeg

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Stock Refinishing

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I really like finishing will oil as well. This is a stock I redid with Danish oil last year. I actually did finish it with a few coats of satin exterior poly to add a little more protection and still keep the sheen down. I really hate the high gloss finishes. Just my personal preference.

Weatherby-1.jpg
Last edited by AZ_Five56 on June 9th, 2021, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowhunter-tw

Post by Bowhunter-tw »

Looks awesome! How does tung oil compare to linseed? And which satin poly did you use? I may finish with a coat to protect it

Im finding the stock I have is a lower grade wood, but it was given to me so im not complaining.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Bowhunter-tw wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:13 pm Looks awesome! How does tung oil compare to linseed? And which satin poly did you use? I may finish with a coat to protect it

Im finding the stock I have is a lower grade wood, but it was given to me so im not complaining.
I'm sorry, I remembered that I actually did that stock with Danish oil. I just edited that post.

The Danish oil is actually a mix of tung oil and linseed oil. Application-wise, I think it's all the same. I did a bunch of research on what types of oil yield which kinds of results on different woods, and that's how I made my decision. I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head what differences they would produce at this point.

As far as the satin poly goes, I just used a spray can and sanded it with fine steel wool between coats. The pain of the steel wool is that it leaves a lot of fibers behind that you need to remove before the following coat. It may produce a better result to brush on the poly (I'm no expert, so check me on that.) Whatever you do, I'd recommend something that's meant for exterior use. Otherwise, it will yellow over time due to UV contact.
paulgt2164
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by paulgt2164 »

I recently "restored' a 1912 production 1903 Springfield. Found a correct style wood stock (unfinished) to replaced the cut down stocker. Finished with many, many coats of linseed oil and it came out awesome for such a simple process.
Bowhunter-tw

Post by Bowhunter-tw »

I did two shotguns in the past, was very happy with them. The really beat up one is the top one in the finished picture.
Attachments
04CF4E85-BD7B-41E8-B50A-9A69E9114769.jpeg
C011FA12-83C0-44F0-99A8-F43AA6AC2C6E.jpeg
4F4DB978-17E4-442B-8B55-0720A0BE6527.jpeg
781F7430-8ED3-452D-9FF4-221069FE5F9F.jpeg
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

AZ_Five56 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:31 pm
Bowhunter-tw wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:13 pm Looks awesome! How does tung oil compare to linseed? And which satin poly did you use? I may finish with a coat to protect it

I'm sorry, I remembered that I actually did that stock with Danish oil. I just edited that post.

The Danish oil is actually a mix of tung oil and linseed oil. Application-wise, I think it's all the same. I did a bunch of research on what types of oil yield which kinds of results on different woods, and that's how I made my decision. I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head what differences they would produce at this point.

As far as the satin poly goes, I just used a spray can and sanded it with fine steel wool between coats. The pain of the steel wool is that it leaves a lot of fibers behind that you need to remove before the following coat. It may produce a better result to brush on the poly (I'm no expert, so check me on that.) Whatever you do, I'd recommend something that's meant for exterior use. Otherwise, it will yellow over time due to UV contact.
My experience with cabinetry and other wood working is it's best to spray any sort of varnish. Just put it on thin to avoid runs. If you do get a run, just let it dry then shave it off with a straight blade razor. Then sand and spray another coat. Also, I prefer to use the scotch brite style sanding pads instead of steel wool.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

iammaxwell wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:11 pm My experience with cabinetry and other wood working is it's best to spray any sort of varnish. Just put it on thin to avoid runs. If you do get a run, just let it dry then shave it off with a straight blade razor. Then sand and spray another coat. Also, I prefer to use the scotch brite style sanding pads instead of steel wool.
Doing thin coats makes sense to me. I've heard some say to put on as heavy of coats as possible before it runs, but that seems like a fine line to walk.

I've always liked working with scotch brite pads more. I've just never used them on a woodworking project. I'll give it a try sometime.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

AZ_Five56 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:47 pm
iammaxwell wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:11 pm My experience with cabinetry and other wood working is it's best to spray any sort of varnish. Just put it on thin to avoid runs. If you do get a run, just let it dry then shave it off with a straight blade razor. Then sand and spray another coat. Also, I prefer to use the scotch brite style sanding pads instead of steel wool.
Doing thin coats makes sense to me. I've heard some say to put on as heavy of coats as possible before it runs, but that seems like a fine line to walk.

I've always liked working with scotch brite pads more. I've just never used them on a woodworking project. I'll give it a try sometime.
I guess they're called scuff pads. Anyway, not as messy as steel wool, but don't gum up like sand paper.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LWTWCKY/re ... 009WBYBZP3
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Love the way the linseed oil finish looks, not much for the shiny finish. Great job!