Laser engraver for small 07

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Racewin
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Laser engraver for small 07

Post by Racewin »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a laser engraver that will meet the .003 minimum on aluminum? This would be for an 07 marking AR lowers.

freefly

Re: Laser engraver for small 07

Post by freefly »

I'd probably look for a used/surplus industrial/medical (50W+) YAG laser set-up. Otherwise, you will be spending big bucks for a comparable new one. AFAIK, most of the cheap Chicom ones are (literally) a waste of time. If you see any claiming to be capable of that depth, ask how long it takes (both in scans and passes).
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Racewin wrote: May 24th, 2021, 12:56 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for a laser engraver that will meet the .003 minimum on aluminum? This would be for an 07 marking AR lowers.
That depends on how much you want to spend, you didn't mention it. Kinda helps to have a price range you know.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

The least reasonably possible. Less than 50/year, slow pace is fine.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Bump to this...looking to see what the lower cost machines are out there. I see engravers on Amazon for a few hundred, but they say they won't do metal.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

I know Gabbert just spent like 15k or so on his engraving setup. I was looking into it for us but it was just always too much. Plus not running the engraving machines causes more maintenance then running them from all the reps I talked to. Almost cheaper to buy a non laser engraver and accept you'll burn through tips.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Stronghand wrote: August 8th, 2021, 10:32 pm I know Gabbert just spent like 15k or so on his engraving setup. I was looking into it for us but it was just always too much. Plus not running the engraving machines causes more maintenance then running them from all the reps I talked to. Almost cheaper to buy a non laser engraver and accept you'll burn through tips.
What are some of the non-laser engraver options?
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

I worked at Things Remembered for a few seasons for extra cash. I would bring in gun parts to be engraved. I cant think of much that would be a problem. ARs are aluminum and that was nothing knives are various steel and those were never an issue especially when you consider how pathetic the ATF depth requirement is. I think a lot of people go to the laser engraver by default because of technology and the other fun stuff you can do with them for decor and laser milling. God help you if you look into a laser for milling. The costs are retarded. But the diamond tipped engraver we were using was pretty useful. Low maintenance assuming the teenagers set their axis right and didn't keep spamming buttons while the slow system tried to keep up.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Do you know what machine they were using? I'd like to look it (or something like it) up.
Stronghand

Post by Stronghand »

http://www.engravingmachinesdirect.com/ ... p_242.html

This looks identical and even this size says it can handle steel. The smaller ones don't seem to have the power for harder metals otherwise I'd go buy the 4k one right now. Make some jankity engraved Chinese crap with pintrest tattoos to pay it off.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Definitely don't have $13k. If I were to just do aluminum, what do you suppose is the least expensive one I could get away with to start?
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Probably shouldn't pigeon hole yourself to just aluminum lowers. Guys that do F1 suppressors need engraving too. Two of mine were Titanium, the other stainless.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I am open to looking at both.