AR15 Rifle Length Buffer tube spacer

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Kinked_Chrome
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR15 Rifle Length Buffer tube spacer

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

I had some time to build some stuff for myself for a change. I used my circle making machine to make a circle that would allow me to use a carbine spring and buffer in a rifle length buffer tube.
spacer.jpg
I drilled and tapped the end of the spacer so that it'd be secured in the tube with the fasten in the end of the buffer tube.

I wanted to put a PRS stock on a rifle that had a carbine length stock on it. It ran well with the spring and buffer in there, so I didn't want to mess around with a rifle length spring and buffer.
20210319_140113.jpg
20210320_181731.jpg

freefly

Re: AR15 Rifle Length Buffer tube spacer

Post by freefly »

Kinked_Chrome wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 4:56 pm I drilled and tapped the end of the spacer so that it'd be secured in the tube with the fasten in the end of the buffer tube.
While I can appreciate the "Bubba" engineering, I would question the application here, on a couple levels.

1. If you drilled/tapped the end of the spacer to accept the rear buttstock securing screw, what is attaching the spacer to the carbine tube? The design of the PRS secures the rifle-length tube with a screw on the back end, and an anti-rotation tab on the front end, preventing the tube from loosening, and the stock from working loose. If there is no bond between the spacer and the carbine tube, what is preventing the stock from sliding off?

2. The whole thing seems like a step backwards. If/when you install such a stock, you are giving up the "compactness" of a carbine tube/stock, but gaining the advantages of a rifle-length buffer system. Here, you are giving up the former, but not getting the latter.

Personally, I'd want the benefits of the rifle-length buffer system if/when going with a rifle-length stock, and without the worry of any "bubba" stuff causing issues down the road. YMMV...

Anyway, nice looking shooter. 8-)
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

1.I am using a rifle length tube, not a carbine tube. The spacer is inserted into the rifle length tube so that I can use the carbine spring and buffer, which is known to work well with the upper. I used as longer fastener, so it secures the stock to the tube like you mentioned and then screws into the spacer. Although I made the fit between the tube and the spacer pretty snug, so it may not even be needed.

2. I assumed that a rifle length buffer system needed a rifle length gas system. I didn't want to mess with all that. I figure keep the known working components together as best as possible.

Thanks! It did turn out pretty cool. I signed myself up for a precision rifle course and this is what I'm bringing out. This is a temporary setup just for this course. I had this optic on a 260 remington rifle, but I didn't want to shoot up all the ammo for it.
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

AZ1182 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:02 pm I don't know what the other person said because he's on ignore. But I will say based off of what you just posted, that there's no issue at all with what you did.JP Rifles includes a Delrin spacer with their Silent Captured Springs, to use with full length extensions. The SCS itself is made to be used in either a carbine or rifle extensions, add the spacer for full, no spacer if carbine. Obviously JP knows more about this than him, so there's that.

I've bumped heads with the other person before, who tried to self elevate himself before getting slapped for it with me. This just goes to show that he's out of his lane again.

Old link but shows the rifle extension spacer.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... re-spring/

You're fine.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I made. Except I used acetal, which I believe is knock off delrin. I'm headed out this weeked to test it. So I'll report back if my rifle explodes, or then again maybe I won't, haha.
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

AZ1182 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 6:22 pm Let me know if you'd like to have the actual spacer, the one I didn't trash is being used as an impromptu block to punch out roll pins with. Will need to be sanded at certain areas because of the obvious, sorry.
Will do, I appreciate the offer. I appreciate your input on this, it's good to know I wasn't completely off my rocker on this little project.
freefly

Post by freefly »

Kinked_Chrome wrote: March 25th, 2021, 1:48 pm 1.I am using a rifle length tube, not a carbine tube. The spacer is inserted into the rifle length tube so that I can use the carbine spring and buffer, which is known to work well with the upper. I used as longer fastener, so it secures the stock to the tube like you mentioned and then screws into the spacer. Although I made the fit between the tube and the spacer pretty snug, so it may not even be needed.
Ah, that makes more sense. I was Initially scratching my head, as the second pic above appears to show the PRS on a carbine-length tube set-up ;)
Kinked_Chrome wrote: March 25th, 2021, 1:48 pm 2. I assumed that a rifle length buffer system needed a rifle length gas system. I didn't want to mess with all that. I figure keep the known working components together as best as possible.
Nope, the stock length (fixed/rifle vs. collapsible/carbine) is what dictates the buffer system.
You just don't typically see rifle-length stocks on short(er) barrel rifles, as it sort of defeats the purpose. That said, a rifle-length buffer system is more reliable, and smoother/softer shooting than a carbine-length buffer system, all else being equal. That reality is what spurred the development of the A5 buffer system for carbine/collapsible stock applications. ;)
Last edited by freefly on March 26th, 2021, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ1182 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:02 pm I don't know what the other person said because he's on ignore.
AZ1182 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:02 pm Obviously JP knows more about this than him, so there's that.
Aww look, it's our resident `lil puppy dog troll...still following people around, wielding his mighty Ignore List!
:roll:

Hey wait, how do you know the context of what was said if I am on "ignore"?
I could have just been asking a couple questions, LOL...
AZ1182 wrote: March 25th, 2021, 4:02 pm I've bumped heads with the other person before, who tried to self elevate himself before getting slapped for it with me. This just goes to show that he's out of his lane again.
Wow, that's some real fantasy-land stuff right there. Someone should tell this poor guy to get some cream for that perpetual butt-hurt. Since, you know, he can't read this...

Sorry OP, this guy has issues. Stick around long enough and you too will witness the cray-cray.
Until then, have fun with the new shooter. 8-)
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

freefly wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:25 pm Nope, the stock length (fixed/rifle vs. collapsible/carbine) is what dictates the buffer system.
You just don't typically see rifle-length stocks on short(er) barrel rifles, as it sort of defeats the purpose. That said, a rifle-length buffer system is more reliable, and smoother/softer shooting than a carbine-length buffer system, all else being equal. That reality is what spurred the development of the A5 buffer system for carbine/collapsible stock applications. ;)
Right, I know the parts will physically fit and try to do their job. It's just that when I was using the rifle spring and buffer I have, it was short stroking with that upper. I don't know all the exact science on port sizes, port location etc, so it was easier for me to build this spacer and use parts that I had around than to buy more springs and buffers to try and get all this to work.