Gun Builds in Progress?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Gun Builds in Progress?

Post by Tim McBride »

What projects or builds does everyone have going? I'm in the middle of moving or I'd post some stuff up.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gun Builds in Progress?

Post by admin »

I've been bit by the 80% bug lately. Done several 80% AR's that have gotten progressively better each time. It's easy to see which one I did first, second and third; lol. However, even my first one is 100% functional.

Also tried the 80% 'glock-style' lower from 80% Firearms. Did the PF940 a few months ago with not-so great results (non-functional), and then tried the PF940V2 with good results (fully functional). I'll have to post some pics and a formal review. I built it up as a long-slide version (G34) with a threaded barrel.
omegaman
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by omegaman »

did a 2011 what a money pit... got it functional have yet to put a finish, smooth all the edges etc. one upper in 9 one in .40 better trigger than my sti used a extreme engineering sear & dis connector and a doug koenig hammer sti curved trigger titanium strut and plunger etc. If you do one you had better like filing
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

I built a PF940 a couple years ago. After a hundred rounds, things smoothed out and it runs fine. Last year I put together a PF940C and it ran fine from the beginning except for a bit of a weak extarction issue. I haven't put too many round thru it so I hope everything settles in with a few hundred more rounds. I got a PF940V2 frame that I'm gonna swap out with my first one.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The ergonomics and overall quality on the V2 frame are significantly better, IMO.
effjaybay

Post by effjaybay »

admin wrote: May 15th, 2018, 11:42 am The ergonomics and overall quality on the V2 frame are significantly better, IMO.
I agree 100%
Bosshaug

Post by Bosshaug »

I have everything for an AR pistol lower build, but just can't seem to get in the mood to do it. Have built several rifles and was excited to do so. I have been looking at uppers and can't decide what length I want. Of course I have to get the lower done before I order a short upper, so I might as well get it done.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

@admin
I have been thinking of a 80% lower. What jig have you used for the AR? I have thought about the glock style as well, but want to focus on the AR at this time.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I used the Modulus Arms one and it worked fine, but there are much better options out now that won't wear out as quickly, or have replaceable parts for the drill areas that wear out.
Basher

Post by Basher »

I got bit by the precision bug pretty bad awhile ago, so I'm working on a bolt action with the following details:

-Bighorn Arms TL2 short action
-bolt heads and barrels for .223REM, 6.5CM, and 6.5PRC (no barrel for the PRC yet, though)
-Timney Calvin Elite 2-stage trigger
-Manners MCS-T w/ mini chassis (still need to source KMW Loggerhead hardware and send it to Stock Doc for install)
-McMillan A5 adjustable (still need bottom metal and to get it bedded)
-Atlas PSR bipod
-Area419 Hellfire brake
-ARC 30mm rings
-currently saving up for a Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 mrad scope

The idea is to have a switch barrel setup that can "do anything." The two stock options allow me to suit the rifle's setup to whatever I'm doing, whether it be hunting big game, predators, varmints, or paper/steel, and the AMG can be easily re-zeroed when switching calibers. Should be fun when it's finished. :)
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

admin wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:50 am I used the Modulus Arms one and it worked fine, but there are much better options out now that won't wear out as quickly, or have replaceable parts for the drill areas that wear out.
It sounds like you used the drill press version. I am leaning towards that option since I have a drill press. From what I have read the router version is supposed to be nice, but it will be more expensive.
muta4warrior

Post by muta4warrior »

I just finished building up a Rem 700 in 300WM and have 40 rounds through it so far.

It started out life as a new stripped receiver, bolt and Xmark trigger. Barrel was a Shillen profiled blank and AI stock. The scope is temporary till I can find one that will compliment the rifle. I will be getting caliber info engraved on the barrel then add a finish here shortly.
Attachments
0228181524.jpg
getsum

Post by getsum »

Putting together a .50 Beowulf at the moment. Pretty basic build but should be a fun gun at the end of the day.
Basher

Post by Basher »

muta4warrior wrote: May 19th, 2018, 10:16 am I just finished building up a Rem 700 in 300WM and have 40 rounds through it so far.

It started out life as a new stripped receiver, bolt and Xmark trigger. Barrel was a Shillen profiled blank and AI stock. The scope is temporary till I can find one that will compliment the rifle. I will be getting caliber info engraved on the barrel then add a finish here shortly.
Looks good to me! What's wrong with the NF? And what are you thinking of going with in it's place?
muta4warrior

Post by muta4warrior »

Basher wrote: May 19th, 2018, 2:29 pm
muta4warrior wrote: May 19th, 2018, 10:16 am I just finished building up a Rem 700 in 300WM and have 40 rounds through it so far.

Looks good to me! What's wrong with the NF? And what are you thinking of going with in it's place?
The NF came off my 30-06 that uses the same scope rail as the 300WM is using, so it was a quick drop and go.. I was thinking about a Vortex Razor of some flavor.