Gun Builds in Progress?

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
superdrag67
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Gun Builds in Progress?

Post by superdrag67 »

I have a couple 80%'s that have been sitting in the safe for a couple years that I'd like to finish. Wish I would have bought more when they were really good prices.

Eventually I'll get the 5D Tactical kit to finish them but I'm holding off for the time being.

AR-SNIPER-15
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AR-SNIPER-15 »

I just finished a 10.5 Ar pistol, and a G19 build.
John Kuhns

Post by John Kuhns »

I have a couple projects going one of which is for the grandkids so I can get my M4 clone back. Thanks to a deal yesterday with gringoloco I'm a step closer to completing that one.
ArizonaGreenTea

Post by ArizonaGreenTea »

I've been looking at a few magazine well adapters for using STANAG mags in the AK platforms that are in 223/556. I know the Circle 10s are awesome and well worth the cash and frankly, more durable than the STANAG mags we're all use to but I've only got a original 10 rd mag that came with my Arsenal and was taking a look at the Circle 10 mags when I figured, I should just pop in an adapter since I've (along with probably everyone else) got boxes and boxes of STANAG mags. I bought a few different adapters and am currently just planning on testing them out once they arrive.
AGE Mechanic

Post by AGE Mechanic »

What is the proper way to mark the receiver on a home built kalash?
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

Building a lightweight AR15. I want to use it for p-dog hunting this year.

Quentin Defense ARQ receiver set
LaRue PredatAR lightweight 16" barrel
Geissele handguard
Geissele trigger SSA-E
Geissele charging handle
Geissele Super 42 recoil spring & buffer
Toolcraft carrier/bolt
B5 SOPMOD Enhanced stock
various ambi controls
Magpul MBUS
SureFire WarCOMP

Just waiting on the barrel from LaRue which arrives on Thursday. Then I can get to building.

Still deciding on an optic.
ArizonaGreenTea

AGE Mechanic wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 6:34 am What is the proper way to mark the receiver on a home built kalash?
Harbor Freight offers lettering/stamping kits in a variety of sizes. I personally wouldn't go any less than 1/8" for sizing and those can be had for like $10.
TheRev

Post by TheRev »

I have recently been bit by the AR build bug. Started doing a few 80% receivers with decent results at first. Now I'd say they are quite good. I'm have a project in process that will be a pistol build with a Fostech Echo II trigger installed. I'm having a hard time deciding which brace I want to use. The SB PDW looks good and has all the cool adjustments, but it's very heavy at 18.5 oz's. The SB A3 is 6 pos adjustable and only weighs in at 5.8 oz's so its pretty lightweight. But nothing is lighter than the KAK Blade at 2.6 oz's. Anyway, the upper I'm building will have a Wilson AG 7.5" Wylde 1.7rh with a Smith Enterprises "Vortex" FH and a KAC free float forearm. It'll be my 1st pistol. I've finished 4 rifles recently and all work flawlessly. I even installed a Fostech Echo II on one of the rifles and it works great. Lots of fun. These will all end up in my SHTF arsenal for the "just in case" scenario we all hope will never happen.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

LOL, i've had three ak's in the garage in different levels of builds, just can't seem to get focused to finish any up, one in particular i want to finish is a rpk, have barrel pinned, just need to clean up some rivets, and finish up some wood, but alas, where has father time gone, older i get the faster it goes away.

i did just finish a trigger kit on a shield, the apex system is alright, sure changed the feel and pull

and yeah, i'm a side by side junky, have a machinist making some minute parts that are so worn, i tried but just don't quite have the skill, wheres Daniel when you need him
Rj
delta6

Post by delta6 »

AGE Mechanic wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 6:34 am What is the proper way to mark the receiver on a home built kalash?
If it was a flat or an 80%... Not required by law
AGE Mechanic

Post by AGE Mechanic »

I need to keep a copy of that when I go out. Any chance you can point me to that paragraph?
delta6

Post by delta6 »

11. Do I need a Federal firearms license to make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 CFR 478.39. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for the official use of a
- 8 -
Federal, State or local government agency (18 U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 CFR §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).
Additionally, although markings are not required on firearms manufactured for personal use (excluding NFA firearms), owners are recommended to conspicuously place or engrave a serial number and/ or other marks of identification to aid in investigation or recovery by State or local law enforcement officials in the event of a theft or loss of the privately owned firearm.
ArizonaGreenTea

knockonit wrote: May 24th, 2018, 6:00 pm LOL, i've had three ak's in the garage in different levels of builds, just can't seem to get focused to finish any up, one in particular i want to finish is a rpk, have barrel pinned, just need to clean up some rivets, and finish up some wood, but alas, where has father time gone, older i get the faster it goes away.

i did just finish a trigger kit on a shield, the apex system is alright, sure changed the feel and pull

and yeah, i'm a side by side junky, have a machinist making some minute parts that are so worn, i tried but just don't quite have the skill, wheres Daniel when you need him
Rj
It's been a few years now since I've seen Daniel. Last I saw, he was still dealing with the aftermath of carpal tunnel unfortunately. Damn shame, he was very good working on my moss shotties as well as my AKs, you're right about that.
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

I have an inherited ancient 12ga SxS I am failing at tracking down parts for. Stevens 335, need a hammer screw >.< I found everything it needs, got it to fire on the left barrel but it needs the right hammer and is missing the only damned screw I cant find online anywhere. May need to see if the left hammer screw fits and use it to make a custom screw but i got no lathe... frustrating.
My buddies dad died and we found it behind a door with a baggie containing its guts duct taped to the barrels and covered in what looked like 20yrs of dust.
No one had ever seen it or knew about it, so his mom says, "Here, you'll fix it, take it home." lol

I picked up a llama 38super off a buddy for like $50
He let someone go full bubba on the feed ramp area and it blows out the 38supre brass since there is no case support remaining...
So, I rigged a drop in ramp, like a shaped brass crown that sits on the frame under the barrel, and tossed in a factory 9mm barrel off numrich, it works 100% on ball ammo but I want to cut the frame for a rock island ramped barrel I snagged for like $30 and do it right.
Got the parts just no mill and dont feel like spending the money for a smith to do it since it a: shoots fine as is, even if not done "right" and b: Im unsure if i want to sink the money into a llama 1911 lol

I have an 80% ar receiver from when 2 friends and I were going to split the tooling but they flakes and I'm too damn cheap to buy the 5D Tactical jig and router to just do one custom lower...

Also, just picked up a scorpion evo with the B&T bbrace that I have been getting a parts list together for, not really a gunsmithing project tho since its all "bolt ons". also, I love this thing, fun shooter.
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

Got my SBR Form-1 back for my AR15 lower. Going to get this 9mm AR build going!