1911 "Bobtail" Alternative

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
azdover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

1911 "Bobtail" Alternative

Post by azdover »

If you're considering a bobtail mod to your Government or Commander 1911, I found one alternative to reduce the grip on a 1911 that may involve a little less work. I've done a regular bobtail mod in the past. In addition to the main spring housing itself, I bought an installation jig from Brownells and I seem to remember having to buy an Officers model mainspring.

I wanted to do the same mod to a Kimber Raptor Pro. While looking for the MSH, I found that Wilson Combat sells a round butt MSH that fits a Commander and Government frame. It still requires removing some metal from the bottom of the frame, but it was relatively easy to do with some files and India stones to start with to roughly shape the frame. I then used fine sand paper and sanding pads for the final blending and polishing. Finally I glass beaded the shiny spots back to the Raptor's original matte finish.

Nice thing about the WC round butt MSH is you don't have to drill any holes for the main spring pin and you can use all the original MSH internal parts. Seems to give you most of the advantages of a regular bobtail MSH but without the extra work or cost of an installation jig. It feels much better in my hand while still reducing printing under an outer garment.

You could also do this mod to your existing MSH if you had the time and patience. I choose this route since I wanted to replace the cheap plastic one that comes on the Raptor. Just another option if you're considering a bobtail MSH.

Last edited by azdover on April 9th, 2021, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twoaussies
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: 1911 "Bobtail" Alternate

Post by twoaussies »

I like the way that looks, if only it was so easy with a blued, coated model
azdover

Post by azdover »

Wilson Combat sells the same round butt MSH in blue. The amount of metal you have to remove from the bottom back of the grip is quite minimal, so you could probably do the mod and get away with cold bluing touch up if you were careful. I don’t think you would have to blue the whole frame. Coating would probably require getting both the frame and the MSH done if you wanted them to match.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Guncrafters come nicely rounded like that. I've been a bobtail fan since my early Ed Brown Kobra Carry, but I'm quickly learning to love the round butt! Nice job azdover!
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

That came out really clean. Nice job!!!!

I think I like it better than the traditional bobtail. Takes off that bottom edge but is more subtle and still gives you a fuller grip. Thank you for posting .. Still on the lookout for my 1911 and that is a mod I might have to do.
pneuby

Re: 1911 "Bobtail" Alternative

Post by pneuby »

THat looks excellent. I just can't warm-up to the usual, radically altered, bobtail.
792mauser

Re: 1911 "Bobtail" Alternative

Post by 792mauser »

I like that way that came out.
It looks like it belongs.