Rifle Stock Alterations

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Rifle Stock Alterations

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I purchased a second stock for my Weatherby Mark V to cut it down for my kids so that it has a more appropriate length of pull. It's a used Bell and Carlson fiberglass stock, but it won't fit my rifle, so I'm doing a bit of modification.

The slot for the recoil lug seems to be too small, so perhaps Weatherby changed the size of the lug over the years. Whatever the reason, I need to open the slot up. I only need to widen the slot by about .05", but I'll need to cut out about .25" from the front of the notch toward the forend.

I'm not as concerned about the precision of cut on the front of the slot, but I'm very concerned about the bottom flat and the back face of the recoil lug slot. I figured dremeling this would just make a mess of it, so I was thinking about outsourcing the work. Does anyone have any recomendations that won't break the bank?

Weatherby-Stock.jpg

needsmostuff
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Rifle Stock Alterations

Post by needsmostuff »

Easy enough DIY project.
I don't think anybody precision cuts lugs anymore .
Just carve it out as you describe , a little oversize and rough is actually better . Then get a glass bedding kit and tuck it in.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

needsmostuff wrote: March 1st, 2021, 7:01 am Easy enough DIY project.
I don't think anybody precision cuts lugs anymore .
Just carve it out as you describe , a little oversize and rough is actually better . Then get a glass bedding kit and tuck it in.
That was my original thought, but I got concerned that I might booger it up. Maybe I'm just overthinking this one. Thanks for the input!
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Cut it over size, and bed to fit. Sounds like as good of a plan as I could think of.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Hammer 35 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:57 pm Cut it over size, and bed to fit. Sounds like as good of a plan as I could think of.
Thanks for chiming in. That's my current plan. I guess you could say that overthinking things is kind of my MO.