RSA Mod For Glock 19 Gen 3 Slide On Gen 4 Frame

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
azdover
ArizonaShooting.org Member

RSA Mod For Glock 19 Gen 3 Slide On Gen 4 Frame

Post by azdover »

This might be a solution in need of a problem, but thought I'd throw this out here in case anybody is working on a similar Glock build.

I modded my Glock 19 Gen 3, replacing the frame with an aftermarket Shadow Systems MR918 Gen 4 frame. I used the complete Gen 3 slide with factory internals. I was able to use most of the Gen 3 internals in the Gen 4 frame. The only Gen 4 specific parts I needed was the trigger housing and the slide lock spring. I also used a Heavy Armor Division slide adapter to get rid of the gap between the front of the slide and the frame. It isn't really required, but it looks a lot better.

The gun has chugged along without any problems for about 400-500 rounds. But cleaning it the other day, I noticed that the back of the recoil spring assembly (RSA for all the Glock-a-philes) was looking a little chewed up.

I also have a Shadow Systems MR918 build with their frame and slide that uses a Grey Ghost barrel (Shadow Systems has stopped making their MR918 Glock clones). It's basically a Gen 4 Glock 19 and uses all Gen 4 parts. The biggest noticeable parts difference is the Gen 4 dual spring RSA versus the Gen 3 single spring in my first build.

I was trying to figure out why the Gen 3 RSA was taking a beating. I Iooked closer and could see that the RSA channel in Gen 4 frame was slightly wider than the Gen 3. Guess the Gen 3 RSA was bouncing side to side whenever the gun was fired. Enough to cause some scrapes, but not enough to affect function so far.

Trying to figure out a fix, I noticed that a #10 flat washer is the same diameter as the back of the Gen 4 RSA. I also found a 6-32 3/4" button head screw fits easily into the hole in the back of the Gen 3 RSA. The screw head was a little bigger than the inner diameter of the flat washer. It was also a little thicker than the washer. Those two issues were easily solved by chucking it into my trusty drill to file down the diameter and take some metal off the top of the screw so it fit flush when the washer was placed on the end of the RSA. Spring tension - not the screw - holds the washer in place when the slide, barrel, and RSA are fully assembled. The screw head only keeps the washer centered on the back of the RSA. The flat washer might add a little extra tension to the recoil spring, but I don't think it's enough to matter. It also makes the RSA guide rod stick out of the front of slide about 1/16", but again doesn't seem to affect anything.

Everything assembles with no problems. But you have to hang onto the RSA when you remove the slide since it tries to launch itself across the room when you remove the slide. The Gen 3 RSA now stays centered in the frame. So far I've only fired 35 rounds through it with no problems, starting with some weak factory 115gr practice FMJs up through some reloads and 124gr NATO and then finished up with some 124gr JHP +P/+P+. I'll report back later if I have any problems further on down the road, but it looks like I'm off to a good start. Seemed to shoot close to original point of aim on an 8" plate out to 25 yards, but probably ought to double check it on paper next time I get a chance. Gen 3 RSA left and Gen 4 RSA right.

Mandatory pics. MR918 Gen 4 slide & frame top. Glock 19 Gen 3 slide and MR918 Gen 4 frame bottom. Both have factory parts in the frames except for the flat face triggers.

Last edited by azdover on January 5th, 2021, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h8pvmnt

Re: RSA Mod For Glock 19 Gen 3 Slide On Gen 4 Frame

Post by h8pvmnt »

Pretty cool problem solving. I had not read the MR918 was gone, but i see they have a new model that replaces it. Not sure the reason or differences. I have an Mr918 Elite and its been sitting in the box for over a year untouched. Now its obsolete or maybe a collectors item LOL.... Not. Guess i should get it out mount the optic and go shoot it.
azdover

Post by azdover »

Put another 100 rounds through it today. I did get a chance to check point of aim on some paper targets. It looks like adding the washer to the RSA affected POA since it now shoots about an inch and a half at about 1 o'clock at 15 yards. Otherwise, no other problems and the RSA looks like it will survive.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Interesting stuff, azdover. Thanks for sharing.

Any theories on why the slightly added thickness of the RSA because of the washer would change the POI?
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Also, have any pics of the muzzle end, both angled and straight on?
azdover

Post by azdover »

Jack Dupp wrote: January 15th, 2021, 4:19 pm Interesting stuff, azdover. Thanks for sharing.

Any theories on why the slightly added thickness of the RSA because of the washer would change the POI?
Not a clue. I took the RSA and barrel out of the slide then placed them in the frame to take a look. It looks like once you reassemble the slide and frame, the back of the RSA doesn't touch the barrel lug anymore. The RSA rests against the back of the RSA channel just in front of the slide lock. The barrel locking lug is engaged with the back of slide lock. Guess that little half moon on the front of the barrel lug is there just to help assembly and disassembly. Could be my RMR was off beforehand and just needed to be adjusted.
Jack Dupp wrote: January 15th, 2021, 4:20 pm Also, have any pics of the muzzle end, both angled and straight on?
Sorry, missed the "straight on" part. Should know how to RTFQ by now. But I got great some side views with one angled shot!

With a Gen 3 slide, frame, and RSA, the front of the RSA sticks out about .055" on my G19

With the Gen 3 slide on the MR918 Gen 4 style frame with the Gen 3 RSA and no washer, the RSA sticks out about .080". Not sure how far it would protrude if I was using a Glock Gen 4 frame.

Adding the washer, which is .050" thick, the front of the RSA now sticks out about .130". Hopefully that won't cause any problems in the future, but then again what do I know? Little unknown but uninteresting fact (at least to me) - I always thought the rod on the RSA was one piece. Wasn't sure how Glock put the spring and rod together, but it looks like the front end is just a press in part. I checked two other RSAs I had, a used one and a new one, and they were all the same.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that my Heavy Armor Division spacer is starting to fail. I though it fit flush against the outer and inner parts of the front of the slide, but it looks like it has a little gap between it's inner radius and the front of the slide. And after only a couple of hundred rounds. Took it out since it was only for looks anyway. Will probably replace the Gen 3 slide with a Gen 4. If you're considering this part you may want to pass. I'm going to contact them about this to see if anybody else has the same problem. Maybe they already have a fix for it.

The washer fix still looks like it solves the chewed up Gen 3 RSA in a Gen 4 frame, so I’ll keep shooting and report back if anything changes.

Later,
Pete
Last edited by azdover on January 17th, 2021, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Very cool information and thanks for the pics!
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

👍🏼