drilling witness holes in a magazine

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

drilling witness holes in a magazine

Post by smithers599 »

I have a Para Ordnance P14-45. Unlike many magazines, there are no "witness holes" to disclose how many rounds are left.

Is it a bad idea to drill holes? Or would that weaken the magazine or damage it in some way?

What is the best way to drill holes? Special bit? High speed vs. low speed? Sides, or back?

Is this a DIY project (handheld drill, no drill press), or a professional gunsmith project?

Or does somebody make P14 magazines with holes and I have been unable to find them?

Thanks.

QuietM4

Re: drilling witness holes in a magazine

Post by QuietM4 »

Might be a little tough to discern what hole location = how many rounds left, but a small 1/8" hole wouldn't hurt anything.

I'd prefer to do it with a drill press, but I'm sure if you have a bench vice it could be done by hand easily enough. A little cutting oil wouldn't hurt, slow speed.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

Since the magazine is the same length as a standard 1911 magazine, you should be able to use a standard magazine as a template for drilling holes. It's a low speed drill process then use a file and sandpaper to clean up the holes.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

jls in az wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:38 pm Since the magazine is the same length as a standard 1911 magazine, you should be able to use a standard magazine as a template for drilling holes. It's a low speed drill process then use a file and sandpaper to clean up the holes.
The P14-45 is a double stack mag...the alignment won't be the same as a classic single stack 1911 mag.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

It's a double stack that's wider than the original, but not longer. The rounds are still 7 and 7 on each side, just offset a little. The witness holes should show the top half of the shells on one side and the bottom half of the shells on the other. You could also offset the holes by half the width of a shell and show the same area of shell on both sides.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

My plan to locate the holes is to actually measure -- remove the baseplate and spring, then drop some ammo in. Measure from the bottom of the magazine to the bottom of the cartridge. Then add half the diameter of a cartridge to get the hole right at the side of the cartridge. Repeat with different numbers of rounds.

Make sense?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

smithers599 wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 6:17 am My plan to locate the holes is to actually measure -- remove the baseplate and spring, then drop some ammo in. Measure from the bottom of the magazine to the bottom of the cartridge. Then add half the diameter of a cartridge to get the hole right at the side of the cartridge. Repeat with different numbers of rounds.

Make sense?
That’s exactly the way to do it.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

I don't think it'll significantly weaken the magazine. I'd probably do it on the side instead of the back, for no particular reason.

I would make sure to deburr any and all holes drilled inside and out. I could see that inhibiting function of the followers get hung up on a burr.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

I can see wanting one hole for knowing when full. Otherwise just stick it in, shoot til empty, then reload. I only really pay attention to how many rounds are in my carry mags (i.e. make sure they're full). Having random number of rounds in range mags actually helps by practicing shoot til empty, check that it's in fact empty and not a failure, then reload and repeat. YMMV