66-2 with awful engraving

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Rattles336
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: 66-2 with awful engraving

Post by Rattles336 »

It depends on what he offers lol. I have a standing offer at 600.00 just not sure if I want to get rid of it just yet.

Rattles336

Post by Rattles336 »

Depends on what he offers. I have a few at 600
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Boriqua »

Guess you could just buy a cheap engraver doodad and scribble on it some more!! :dance:

Then its ART!

https://www.google.com/search?q=deadpoo ... bRkPsqdhPM
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

the other way is to add more engraving to where it looks like it came from Nogales... then come up with a cool story...

ETA... An offer of $600 seems to already be at full price for a common 357 like that, even without the marking - so you better grab it fast if you don't like the gun as-is... or else dump more $$ into it that you will never get back just forthe optics of it...

I'm betting that it is a real NJDC gun and someone who collects that stuff will pay full price for it... A lot of places used electric pencil to mark property for later theft ID- it was cheap and any monkey could do it. As mentioned, stuff seized in crime investigations were also often marked, but not as nicely as that... THAT actually looks like a pretty good job considering it was likely free hand. Military guns are another place you will find electric pencil "art".
Last edited by Harrier on November 1st, 2020, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

I have a buddy that had one that had horrible initials on it and he had Matt Mclaren fill it and then bead blast the gun. It came out pretty badass
Rattles336

Post by Rattles336 »

Vinnie B wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:16 am I have a buddy that had one that had horrible initials on it and he had Matt Mclaren fill it and then bead blast the gun. It came out pretty badass
How can I contact Matt? I may be interested if he can save her.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

Rattles336 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:19 pm
Vinnie B wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:16 am I have a buddy that had one that had horrible initials on it and he had Matt Mclaren fill it and then bead blast the gun. It came out pretty badass
I will try and get his info for you today. He used to live in Payson but moved last year to Ohio I believe.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Personally I wouldn't put the money into it that it would take to have the initials removed.
Not unless you are going to keep it.
In the shape it is in now I would take the $600.
Unless the initials have some significance and you can prove it , they take away from the value quite a bit.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:11 am Personally I wouldn't put the money into it that it would take to have the initials removed.
Not unless you are going to keep it.
In the shape it is in now I would take the $600.
Unless the initials have some significance and you can prove it , they take away from the value quite a bit.
I have to agree ... While the 66 is a decent gun and some people love it I think a 66 in fair/good condition minus the engraving is going about $550 .. tops 650. Of course that was pre gunmania.

In the pic I can see other finish issues, dings and such. Its a K frame so while it will shoot 357 it is really a heavy 38 and most people on the smith forums tend to go after the shorter barrel.

If you dont love revolver and shooting revolver then take the $600 from the prospective buyer and be happy. If you do like revolver and you traded an LCP for it I think its a good deal .. keep it and shoot a half ton of 38 through it!!!

If you do get into reloading, 38 brass lasts damn near forever and with a charge of about 4.0 grains of HP38 its really economical to shoot.

I was out with one of my revolvers on Friday ... Damn I love shooting revolver!
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

K frame 357's (M19, M66) are fine with most loads, it's the hot hot 110gr +P+ treasury load and some 125gr JHP +P that can crack the forcing cone giving it the bad rap. I wouldn't shoot those in a J frame either. Best option is an L frame (586, 686).
When I load for 38spl to be shot in a 357 I tend to use 357 cases to avoid the carbon ring cleaning issue. just load the longer case appropriately to duplicate 38 velocity.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Harrier wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:09 am K frame 357's (M19, M66) are fine with most loads, it's the hot hot 110gr +P+ treasury load and some 125gr JHP +P that can crack the forcing cone giving it the bad rap. I wouldn't shoot those in a J frame either. Best option is an L frame (586, 686).
When I load for 38spl to be shot in a 357 I tend to use 357 cases to avoid the carbon ring cleaning issue. just load the longer case appropriately to duplicate 38 velocity.
I broke mine with a couple boxes of 125 gr. One of the first guns I bought after moving out here. S&W was great about it and sent a return ticket right away. In the box was a hand written note when I got it back. Must have been from the tech.

Clearly said ..." practice with 38 carry 357." I sold it off immediately. Now I dont shoot a ton of 357 because I dont need to beat up my guns but I shoot a cylinder or two every other range visit or so. As you know shooting 357 is very different than shooting 38 so I want to keep in a little practice shooting the stouter round.

"FOR ME" if the gun says .357 Combat Magnum then it should be able to shoot as much .357 as I want and the 66 wasnt up to it.

Now on the smith forums you will hear from guys that say bullshit and have shot a ton of .357 through their 66 but .. I will never forget that little hand written note in my box from Smith and Wesson. I was disappointed.

66 is a nice gun with nice weight and its a good looking gun!! .... but .. If I bought another .. and I might jump at a 2.5in finances allowed ... I would just run 38+p as my walking about round. Underwood makes a nice 38+p and I like the HST 38+p and I still have a bag of unused new brass in the shed and I can make my own
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Rattles336 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:19 pm
Just an idea: If the damage is not too deep, maybe mill it down to create a little recessed frame, and engrave it with something else, like your initials, or molon labe, or something.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

If I needed a fine, useable 357 I'd shoot it and never look back . For me a ruff an tumble , fearless to carry handgun is better than a safe queen.
If you can't get past the cosmetics that made it affordable and you have an offer at $600 your way should be clear.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

needsmostuff wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 7:14 am If I needed a fine, useable 357 I'd shoot it and never look back . For me a ruff an tumble , fearless to carry handgun is better than a safe queen.
If you can't get past the cosmetics that made it affordable and you have an offer at $600 your way should be clear.
Well stated :clap:
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

You ever date an ugly chick that still knocked your rocks off..there you go..