Bobbing a shotgun barrel

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Bobbing a shotgun barrel

Post by Suck My Glock » June 5th, 2019, 12:37 am

A friend of mine just picked up an old Western Field .410 pump gun for his infirm wife who is often at home alone to have on hand for home defense. I suggested it might be worth while to have the barrel bobbed to the minimum legal length and maybe have the stock shortened for her as well.

Does anyone here have a west valley smith in mind to suggest I have them use? (They are close to Luke Air Force Base.)

This is a pre-1968 gun, and since serial numbers were not REQUIRED by law until the 68' GCA, there is none on this. Does that complicate leaving the pump gun with a gunsmith? I know they have to enter the weapon into their records and do another 4473 on it when its picked up. But without a serial #,...is this problematic?

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Bobbing a shotgun barrel

Post by Ballistic Therapy » June 5th, 2019, 8:06 am

If the gun is left for more than one business day they record it. No serial number is not a problem as long as the gun was made before serial numbers were mandatory.
A gunsmith does not fill out a 4473 or do a background check when returning the gun to the customer as long as the customer is the same one that dropped it off.
Not in Arizona anyway.
" If you tell no lies , there is less to remember ". ( Indian Larry )

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride » June 5th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Gun does have to be logged into the bound book, but the other poster is correct, no 4473 required as long as it goes back to the original person who dropped it off. The lack of a serial number is not a big deal, it's logged as "No Serial Number".

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock » June 5th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Thanks for correcting me on the 4473 thing. Its been over 20 years since I paid someone to customize something, and I guess the rules have changed for the better.

Still need a reccomendation for whom in the west valley to send them.

shooter444

Post by shooter444 » June 8th, 2019, 11:27 am

I have been shortening wood stocks with a hand saw, and, barrels with a hacksaw, for decades! :D A hand file to clean/square up the muzzle, and a belt sander to re-fit the original butt plate back on,... and you should be good to go! :D

jmho
"A LIE REPEATED OFTEN ENOUGH BECOMES ACCEPTED TRUTH"... Nazi Propaganda minister-Joseph Goebbels

"IN THE AGE OF UNIVERSAL DECEIT, TELLING THE TRUTH IS A REVOLUTIONARY ACT"... George Orwell - author of '1984'

Return to “DIY, Building, Gunsmithing and Custom Firearm Work”